add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 2700X?

joaquinatorb
  • 29 days ago

Like the title says. Also this is my first build.

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Gaming or light usage - Ryzen 5 3600

Gaming + Streaming - Ryzen 7 2700X

Workstation - Ryzen 7 2700X

The Ryzen 5 3600 is faster in lightly threaded workloads, the Ryzen 7 2700X is faster in heavily threaded workloads. No clear winner here although if gaming is the main reason for this rig then go with the 3600.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

So for a workstation/gaming/streaming hybrid the Ryzen 7 2700X? And If so do you think it's worth price to performance the upgrade to a 3700x? Side note in addition to streaming I currently lean towards NVidia gpus and nvtenc encoding for some games it's a major improvement. So streaming does stream my gpu a bit more than my cpu.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

2700X

Better stock cooler

Less variation in end performance

Less expensive

But slightly slower on average unless its core count can be used

Poor stock cooler

Slightly faster low threaded performance on average

Multi threaded performance is hampered by Windows scheduling

Somewhat wide end performance variance

More expensive

Biggest problem with the 3600 is AMD changed how they qualify CPU.

Only a single core is required to qualify unlike older models where all cores are required to qualify, and Windows doesn't generally use that highest boosting core, instead focusing workloads onto an alternating pair with the best/closest latency to speed profile.

That change swings end boost clocks into a 3.7ghz to 4.2ghz range meaning the difference between models can often be close to margin of error worst case even if you can benefit from the faster speed.

• 29 days ago
  • 2 points

A little also the survey that prompted their testing and the three that I've worked with.

Some of it is also from here.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15137/amd-clarifies-best-cores-vs-preferred-cores

Best case you get results like here with 4.2ghz on all cores.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/20.html

Worst case I list 3.7ghz although there are some reports of even lower but those tend to be limited to a single core per unit and I have a hunch that AMD marks those for Windows to avoid and with the scheduling they don't get used very much.

In the past AMD verified all cores as capable of max boost clocks, on these they settle for one and even that may not be used much.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

I own the 2700X. Finished the build yesterday. It took me more time to do the cable management part than making the build. lol

Now i don't know if the latest AGESA 1.0.0.4B update has changed anything to the cores scheduling in relation to W10 latest updates, but i did found that my 2700X did run at 4.35GHz on 4 of the cores and the remaining 4 did run between 3.0-3.2GHz.

And those speeds where pretty stable at those above numbers on Furmark benchmark.

It seems a more balanced core usage across all the cores. But i must do some more tests of course.

At the end, pretty happy with the purchase of the 2700X.

Now i did not stress tested the processor heavily yet, but the stock Wraith Prism fan seems pretty silent so far, and the RGB lighting effects are amazing to say at least. :)

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Might I ask what motherboard you have?

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Yes sure...

The ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING

And that's my whole build, without an intake fan yet, as i will purchase it soon. lol

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $178.79 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $159.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $77.99 @ Newegg
Storage Corsair MP300 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $121.05 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 580 4 GB NITRO+ Video Card $249.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $109.86 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech G213 PRODIGY Wired Gaming Keyboard $40.90 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse $23.98 @ Newegg
Custom Phanteks E​nthoo EVOL​V ITX TG (​White)
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $962.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-23 15:37 EST-0500

Bright side: Everything did work out of the Box after i did hit the power button of the build.

Downside: Ram didn't work at 3200MHz, but it did work at 2933MHz setting manually the frequency. I may experiment a bit more on that matter.

But even 2933MHz is more than fine to my, as the IMC of the CPU does run at the same speed anyway so not a problem actually. And surprisingly it does run at a very low voltage too. Only 1.2 Volts at 2933MHz. Never encountered a similar situation. lol.

Also to note: CPU idle temps between 38°C-40°C. Highest i seen so far 50°C, considering that Case has a tempered class that's worse than having an acrylic one and with no intake fan at all. GPU temps at idle: 33°C (fans at 0 rpm) / Stress testing it (with Furmark) it did hit 75°C with 33% fan speed.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the build!

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

We have same GPU...well mine is OC edition. :-D If it does become too loud at some point, such motherboard should have a means to manipulate speed of a CPU fan either manually or automatically(Smart Mode on my board).

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

! UPDATE !

Memory problem solved. Now that kit does run at 3200MHz, rock stable.

Cinebench 20 and Blender stress tested. The system passed those tests with flying colors even with the stock Wraith Prism cooler. Not any CPU throttling detected. 👍🏻

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

I DID decide for 2700X,however for reasons I would prefer not to discuss I "had" to redirect funds. There is no way whatsoever that I will be able to get it now b4 holidays 2020. I have some significant debts to repay. Plus The Last Of Us Part 2 is coming in 4 months.

• 28 days ago
  • 2 points

Oh! you have a PS4 as well. Nice!

Me too. :)

• 28 days ago
  • 2 points

Yeah. Gamers should stick together. Sadly we/they don't. :-(

• 28 days ago
  • 2 points

For what's worth, my build!

https://imgur.com/w8Wm7b0

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Most do it! ;)

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I am actually on this boat as well! I am looking to upgrade my computer here soonish. (Still saving up) Anyways I am planning on getting into streaming/recording with this upgrade, but knowing myself I probably won't be doing it a lot. So my question is would the 3600 be just fine to stream/record occasionally or would it be better to get the 2700X regardless? Either way it will be a huge performance boost from what I am currently running.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Best to start your own post then hijack someone else's.

With Secording/Streaming with CPU resources best to avoid third generation, with how they schedule loads they can be a downgrade from second generation of the same core count.

Windows prioritizes a single core per CCX for all workloads alternating with another marked by AMD core, basically turning a 3600/3600X into 2-core/12-thread, 3700X/3800X into 2-core/16-thread, so they don't handle multitasking as well.

It doesn't help the 3600 often costs more then a better 2700X, and a similar performance for 1/2-2/3 the price with a 1600 "AF"/2600, strictly looking at this scenario.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks for the info, and I didn't mean to hijack this post, I just know that they recommend you try to find a post that already has your question posted and see if you can get info from that. I just saw this post and thought I could ask the question.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube