add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Theorys

Rector-Stingray
  • 2 months ago

I was wondering, if a single-core or dual core CPU had excellent single-thread performance, would it be good for gaming?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I was wondering, if a single-core or dual core CPU had excellent single-thread performance, would it be good for gaming?

Single core? Hyppthetically if it was a single core of a 9900K with a clock speed of 20GHz, it would probably trade blows with a modern quad core CPU. Give it a clock speed of 40GHz and we are drifting to i7-9700K territory. Problem though - unfeasible design. Realistically if one limited a modern CPU to a single core, yeah it would run games just do not expect to see silky smooth frame rates and tolerable 1% lows. I am sure a lot of games would be playable though. The trouble is the last single core CPU was a decade ago, a different time, different chipset. Getting Windows 10 up and running would be your first hurdle to jump.

Dual core, depends. 2c/2t there are plenty of videos online. Several modern titles run surprisingly well, some modern titles run with major issues. The Celeron N4900 is probably the best CPU in this class but I would never recommend it for gaming, even on the most budget conscious rig. I had a dual core i3-7350K for a while. I OC'd that to 5.2GHz and it was a surprisingly capable 2c/4t chip. I would argue a tremendous number of titles are playable with this CPU, I certainly tried it out on a number of titles and they ran well. In saying that, still does not get my recommendation.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

This is basically a retread of your "Single Threaded Performance" topic (which I notice you don't follow up in beyond your opening post) from a couple of days ago.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/339916-single-threaded-performance

What's with the fixation on single (or dual) core performance when those chips are obsolete now?

What's your eventual aim in asking these questions?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on if the game is optimized for single or dual cores.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Try Athlon 3000G. It can be overclocked to 4Ghz if I am not mistaken. Add RX570 into the mix and you have capable entry level gaming PC,though my high recommendation would be GTX 1650 Super if you can afford one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube