add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1950x / 2950x or 9900k or... SLI 1080 ti

BigKing73
  • 4 months ago

2k165 and 4k60 gaming + streaming. Running SLI 1080 ti. Reason behind even considering Threadripper is because z390 feels like a dying platform with dated features and not much of a future. (Yes I know 3rd gen TR is a new socket.) z390 can only run x8/x8 pcie SLI which doesn't seem to be a huge performance hit now, but I will SLI 2080 ti's in the future and know x8/x8 will be a much much bigger issue. Will the benefit of x16/x16 and a better future upgrade path as well as higher quality mobo outweigh the IPC of a 9900k? I already own a z390/9900k but may just pass it on to my father and make the switch to TR. sTR4/x399 seems to be a somewhat pricey but a very well feature packed socket. Sad to see 3rd gen TR on a new socket but I feel as though I am much more future proof with the TR and will be able to enjoy the x399 "server" board features. As far as z390 future proofing - it already feels dated. I don't care team red or blue, they both are great at what they do, I just feel a bit stuck between cores and features vs IPC.

As far as the chips/mobo I mentioned are concerned cost is irrelevant.

Any input appreciated!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

All of those are dead end options.

If you already have the 9900K and you don't like a dead platform moving to a slower dead platform for your uses is wasting money and downgrading.

Go TRX40 or make the 9900K work.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

A bit unfortunate for those who are playing on the somewhat high end of platforms rite now. My most reasonable future proof CPU upgrade of a 3rd gen TR would be about a $2k purchase, and to outperform / upgrade my GPU's 1080 Ti SLI I would need SLI 2080 TI's with new waterblocks so that is a ~$2500 purchase. If I had a way to justify a 3960x I would love to pull the trigger.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't want to keep beating a dead horse but is there any alternative? Is there a chip that offers 32+ pcie lanes, has halfway decent IPC, future upgradability, and doesn't cost $3,000?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Only TRX40.

AM4 is limited to x8/x8 3.0 for the 2080ti, LGA 1200 when it comes out will be the same as your LGA 1151v2 limited to x8/x8.

That leaves only X299 which is dead, whatever Intel decides to call the next HEDT generation, X399 which is dead, and TRX40.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It pays to be patient. You can dump a lot of funds now on an ad hoc solution only to inevitably upgrade 12 months from now or you can wait. A new generation is coming - everything, CPU's GPU's DDR5 Ram you name it. A few things to be aware of in the rapidly changing world of PC technology:

SLI is dead, not dying, not keeping itself alive on a slow drip, actually fully and completely dead. With three companies (including Square Enix / Bethesda) that currently support SLI saying they no longer plan to include this feature in games the one or two companies left might well follow suit - particularly with AMD not offering crossfire with any of their products. Nvidia have already suggested they may remove SLI on future products. No two ways about it. Do not waste a fortune SLI'ing two 2080 TI's. The 3080 TI is due for release by Fall this year - is a single GPU option that will offer a 50-100% bump in performance according to some tech sources. Forget SLI, it is only mildly interesting for games that already support it and, ironically, those games already do not require much GPU power to run. You do not need two 2080 TI SLI to get Fallout 4 to max out a 165Hz monitor - it will be a CPU limitation.

As for CPU platforms, wait for AMD and Intel to actually release new products and not rehashes of their now ancient architectures. Lake has been around for 6 years and Ryzen been around 3 years. Both are outdated and irrelevant if you have futureproofing in mind.

Just wait it out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube