add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Reasonable Upgrade From I5 6600k?

Constantos
  • 1 month ago

Hi everyone,

I am looking at building a new PC for a bit of gaming and entertainment and a bit of graphic design.

Games are strategy, mmo's, moba's, sandbox and fps. I have currently:

i5 6600k, 16gb ram and a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb

I was looking at the Ryzen 5 3600 but I did notice even the Ryzen 5 3400g on cpu-world.com when compaired to the i5 6600k shows 'Advantages: None'.

What kind of CPU should I be looking at for a 'reasonable' upgrade that is worth the money? is the 3600 a good choice and if not then what else?

Also, is AMD the best choice and what benefit does Intel bring to the table right now when compaired to Ryzen?

Thanks in advance!

My Current PC Parts List

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

An upgrade from a 6600K is going to be debatable if it's worth the money giving the uses.

gaming and entertainment and a bit of graphic design.

Games are strategy, mmo's, moba's, sandbox and fps.

Gaming wise any current upgrade is going to be hit and miss if it is a benefit and even more so if you've done any tuning on the 6600K.

Entertaining wise you wouldn't notice a difference.

Graphics design can be hit and miss.

Especially since your only on a 1080p@60hz monitor with no frame sync tech which is likely a bigger performance limitation then a 6600k+1060 6gb for visual quality.

I would say save your money another year for newer launches and rereview your options with a plan to redo the entire setup including the monitor.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

what benefit does Intel bring to the table right now when compaired to Ryzen?

None, you are just paying more for roughly the same performance with Intel. Intel is more fun if you are into overclocking though.

i5 6600k, 16gb ram and a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb

Not many upgrade paths here CPU wise regarding WOW factor. Diminishing returns unless you count fps by the 100's and have a monitor that can support it. Upgrading GPU will be more meaningful but the GTX 1060 6GB is still a pretty good GPU for a 1080p display and probably most your titles are not going to need RTX 2080 levels to run smooth at 1080p.

Stick with what you have unless you decide to upgrade your monitor.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Gamers Nexus has done a piece on your sort of situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCV9yyD8X6M

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies guys! They are very helpful.

If building a new rig, what would be the best CPU that would be a good upgrade for this then? Or is it just better to not push money into the cpu or gpu at all until needed or until I upgrade the monitor?

A monitor was on the list to get so this advice just makes it more of an issue to start looking up whats good and what should be avoided.

Thanks again for the advice! It has helped a lot

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Ryzen 5 2600 and a 1660 Super.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If you wanna make a new build as it stands right now, i would go with AMD.

Also you could wait for the next gen Ryzen processors or even the new Comet Lake-S desktop CPU Family from Intel next year.

For now and according the existing prices, i would select either an 3600 or even a 2700X.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube