add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD vs Intel

MattheusTech
  • 3 months ago

What is the big difference between Intel and AMD and why do people prefer Intel over AMD? I get that a lot of people have written on this but this feels like Playstation and Xbox. Fans support their favourite and I couldn’t find a good source to tell me which one is better. So please help me.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 4 points

Simplified:

INTEL

• Marginally better single threaded performance

• Overclocking headroom

AMD

• Faster multi-threaded performance (or more cores)

• Excellent value

• Higher core count options on these consumer platforms (12core/24thread 3900X, 16c/32t 3950X). For gaming + streaming / rendering / transcoding / compression / virtualisation / etc etc - AMD pulls up way ahead

• Upgrade possibilities on the same platform (4000 SERIES IN 2020)

why do people prefer Intel over AMD?

For the practical minds (leaving fan-boyism on the side-lines), unlike previous generation AMD CPUs, the launch of Ryzen 3rd GEN closes the gap with single threaded performance disparities. Essentially, this changes the dynamic quite significantly whereby AMD now covers all basis (narrowly trailed on par ST performance, higher core count + multithreaded support, better value and enjoys another upgrade path with 4000-series CPUs on the same platform, which are expected to launch in mid-2020)

Some may still appreciate intel for it's overclocking potential but this sort of enthusiasm compels the buyer to grab a $50-$80 CPU cooler. $80+ to achieve more reasonable performance gains. Put it this way, if you're going to run a fancy large 280/360mm AIO (or a premium air cooler) or a custom liquid loop configuration, you're most likely to adopt the intel path to put that cooling power to use > OVERCLOCKING. Otherwise the stock ST advantage is too small IMO to warrant the intel path.

I couldn’t find a good source to tell me which one is better

This time around, AMD simply wins regardless of "preference/brand leanings/accustomed life-long intimacies/etc".

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

Playstation and Xbox.

The brand favoritism is similar.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

AMD and Intel have historically traded blows. Some generation/product cycles AMD has had the better product, othertimes it is Intel. Throughout most of the 2010's, Intel had the better CPU's. This dominance started fading in 2017 and in 2019, as things stand, AMD are quite significantly ahead of Intel, so far ahead that AMD probably have two or three product lineups that are going to put tremendous distance between itself and Intel, bigger than any gap between Intel and AMD that existed in the middle of this decade. Intel's response has been to ditch about half a decade of R & D and making new hires to foster a new direction. Intel will take about 3-5 years to respond with CPU lineups that will finally relegate the disaster that is Coffee Lake into the bin of history. For now and the forseeable future, AMD should be the ONLY consideration when buying a CPU.

why do people prefer Intel over AMD?

Intel have spend most of the decade with a superior chipset and lineup. Intel rightly were the preferred CPU - consumers should wish to buy a better product, at least in theory. I suspect that many "Intel Best" folks today do not keep up to date (i.e. they do not know AMD have moved past Intel).

Fans support their favourite and I couldn’t find a good source to tell me which one is better.

The CPU war is not as tribalistic as the console war. You might be hanging around the wrong forums. While this aspect exists in the PC hobby space, most prioritize between best bang for buck or best perfoming for applications at hand. Be it Intel or AMD, I doubt most people do not care.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree 100%. Basically the entire PC building community lost respect for intel at this point. They rebranded the 9980XE with barely any improvements, besides the price. And for what? To get absolutely crushed by LAST GEN Threadrippers? I just don’t get it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

just don’t get it.

Security and Supply.

Both Intel and AMD had planned on moving to dual Speculative Execution designs.

Intel ran into supply issues and hasn't been able to satisfy demand since seventh generation.

And then Google's Project Zero found hardware issues with Intel, ARM, and older AMD designs.

(From AM4 launch AMD handles all security and bug fixing in house, anyone who goes through the bug catch program must sign NDA and are not allowed to talk about any bugs or exploit)

AMD continued with their launches as planned.

Intel has been forced to delay several times over relaunching older architecture until they can satisfy a balance of security to performance in light of hardware problems.

So delaying is more a matter of how each company handles security and lack of ability to produce.

AMD keeps everything under wraps so less people know and it's less likely to have a major security problem found and used in theory. (Worth noting Intel followed this model for most of their lifetime, and ARM for the most part still does)

Intel since the issue was found has adopted a more open source security model allowing and admitting others to test and take credit for bugs/exploits found, less secure in theory but tends to have issues found and fixed sooner.

You will find grey areas like the somewhat recent Spoiler exploit which had a hardware component but they were exploiting operating systems not securing information within the caches when the CPU stepped down from securely running but that was happening on all designs.

AMD also has had the benefit of very small presence in the total market (Enterprise, Business, Consumer desktop, and Mobile products), so tailored attacks are far more likely to find an Intel CPU then a AMD model, but that's changing as is the number of number of attacks built off of the first couple of exploit generations.

Intel has no issues selling out of what they can produce, so the need really isn't there even if they wanted to sell more they can't, give it a few years until they get production back in line with demand and they will likely start pushing hard.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Hopefully so. I'm not biased, I just want the best. And the best right now is AMD. I would love to see the two companies going back and forth regarding who has the best. Maybe I'll even switch eventually. Although I don't really want to change my motherboard...

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

AM4 is dead after next year for AMD.

They already announced they aren't going to be continuing with it for 5th generation.

Giving all the issues and entire generations not being supported on the newest models even next years launches might not be supported on current boards.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! So could you suggest some good sources to find information.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You can think of the AMD and Intel as like Apple vs Samsung. At least that is the best analogy i can think of.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Not really. The Apple vs Samsung analogy is much deeper. Mainly because it's an entire device, itself, with several components to compare, but for other reasons too. People treat iOS vs Android like political parties. I've had friends legitimately shun me because I'm an Apple user. The two communities are so insanely toxic towards each other. The Apple YouTube channel literally had to disable comments just because of how much hate was being posted in the comments of their videos. I get what you were trying to say, but I'm telling you all of this because if you give this analogy to someone else, they will CHEW YOU OUT. There are some idiotic people on this planet.

If I had to give an analogy, I would choose something simpler; like Sprite vs Sierra Mist.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

If I had to give an analogy, I would choose something simpler; like Sprite vs Sierra Mist.

C. Mountain Dew Ice.

Why? It has caffeine.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol nice

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Sprite vs Sierra Mist. lol , Yea i guess this makes more sense, because, sierra mist is like the underdog, and the sprite is kinda like the main guy, even though they taste almost the same.

Falcone and Fish Mooney, Hows that

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know much about Gotham, but yeah, sure, why not? I only said sodas because they're just common objects, and to most people, so are CPUs.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the thorough answers. As I understand it, AMD has gotten ahead of Intel but Intel is gearing up for a new release which might put it at the top again. Please correct me if I am wrong. By the way, could you guys suggest some good sites to find information such as this as I am quite new to this world. Thanks again!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube