add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Odd Uses for Odd Cars

ZFGeek
  • 2 months ago

Have you ever thought of a vehicle with a very specific use and thought, "That could work for something else..."? For example, I think a herse would work well as a truck replacement. They are almost all equipped with V8 engines in them, and they have tons of space on the inside. Just remove the hardware on the inside that originally held the casket down, and add a hitch, and boom! a truck replacement. Plus, they are usually luxury vehicles(Cadillac, Buick, those types), so that is always a bonus.
Although, I wonder what the insurance company would say if you said you wanted to insure a herse as a personal vehicle...

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

YES.

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

Cool idea for sure.

Just to clarify pretty much all modern hearses in the USA are on the GM Epsilon I or II platform and have a V6, not a v8.

Hearses can be insured as a personal vehicle. It would be no different for insuring a standard vehicle. The title on a Cadillac Sovereign (most common hearse in America) just says Cadillac XTS as its the same vehicle platform. So it would be no different from insuring an XTS.

Prior to 2009 or so the majority of hearses were on the GM G platform in form of the Cadillac DTS Hearse (sometimes called the Superior). Those had a V8 but it was the trash Northstar V8 and were FWD (not ideal for a truck). Most of those are long gone and replaced by the aforementioned GM Epsilon platform v6 powered hearses.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting...well, could always do an engine swap...not as easy though.

When it came to the insurance, I was just more curious what the people would say or think. I figured you could insure it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

No one will say or think anything. Most insurance is done via computers and even if it was a normal person no one would think anything of someone registering a hearse if they even knew what it was from the model name and VIN.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That's true.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Why buy a panel van when you can buy a Hearse? I like the way you think!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube