add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel vs Ryzen

Theetexan

1 month ago

I’m struggling with which way to go, Intel or Ryzen. I use my computer for business which includes a lot of Word, Office, Photoshop, a lot of audio such as Audition or Pro Tools as well as numerous browsers open at the same time. And I use a upscale flight sim. I want to play an occasional game or two.

I’m leaning toward Ryzen 3700x because of multiple cores and threads. Intel has multiple cores and some cpus have multi threads but tend to be more expensive.

Above all I want speed. I’m tired of waiting for the computer because I’m asking a lot of it. I need things to happen quickly so I need a fast system.

I’m thinking the multi threads of a 3700x are useful in this regard. Am I right? I plan on using an ssd for the system and programs and another ssd for a scratch disk.

My question really is...is AMD the way for a really fast system or should I use intel. Or...will the 8 cores and 16 threads give me speed over an Intel such as an i7.

Thanks Tex

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You should go AMD. The eight extra threads than an i7 9700k will help out a lot, while being about the same price.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Hardware > CPUs".

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'd advise AMD myself, but the good news is that current AMD and Intel CPU's are nearly at parity overall. Intel does a few things better and AMD does a few things better, but for most users they come pretty close. Whichever way you go will give you a good performer.

From your description I'd say a 3700X with 32GB memory and a couple SSD's, plus a modest GPU, maybe a 1650 Super unless an RX 570 would do.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok. You, Sir are in the same spot I was a few months ago.

I was team blue with my I7-8700k on a good Gigabyte Master board. I recently switched (don't ask why.... it`s painful to tell) and when I started a rebuild I was looking at the Intel CPUs. Now, for an 8 core 16 thread CPU unlocked, Intel was insane. There was no way I was going to fork that much money in just CPU and board. I wanted to put more money on the video card, where it really matters right? :)

So I built my rig with Ryzen 5 3700x & Asus Strix Gaming-E board and painfully forked the money for an EVGA RTX2080ti FTW.

Now, ANY tasks I send to this beast is tackled without a sweat. Compiler runs smooth with the multi-core multi-thread of that CPU and for gaming...well... 4K gaming at ultra is not out of reach... (Ghost Recon Breakpoint).

Either way today is perfectly valid. However, AMD has showed that THEY have the upper hand for the next few years with their 7nm & 5nm roadmap. Intel at 14+ and 10nm looks they have been passed (at least for the short/medium term).

You won't be able to overclock your Ryzen as much as Intel CPUs but does it really matter? What matters is how much speed are you getting?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I prefer AMD. For the next few years, anyway, the upgrade path with their AM4 socket seems reasonably safe. Many Intel CPUS, on the other hand, don't have a great upgrade path if you wish to go that route. If cost is an issue, then AMD is absolutely the way to go.

The good news is that CPUs these days are tremendously capable, so you'll almost certainly be happy with whichever brand you choose. I just personally tend to favor AMD, all the way back to their Athlon days in the mid-2000s.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube