add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel i7 9700k vs Intel i9 9900k

Ecastan1992

2 months ago

Hello,

I was wondering if getting the i9 9900k would be worth it or just overkill for a new PC I want to build.

I would mainly use the PC to game heavily and watch movies.

Would greatly appreciate some advice

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I currently game on a 9700K at only 4.7ghz now that I switched to air cooling and a mini ITX build. the performance is still quite amazing, though I would bet at this frequency, the 3700X would give it even more of a run for its money. if you don't plan to overclock at all, I would outright suggest a 3700X over the intel parts. if you DO want to overclock and only want to game (no streaming, recording, editing, etc), I would recommend the 9700K. it games about the same as a 9900K while using less power and running cooler due to the lack of hyperthreading. this makes it easier to control the temperatures when and if you can get it to 5ghz+.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

As an Addendum to this post, if one plans to build a fancy cooling loop, you can seriously overclock these Intel chips. All it takes is a good case with airflow and a custom loop venting through a 360mm heavy duty radiator. I can drive my i9-9900K past 5.5GHz but a $800 liquid cooling solution is not going to be for everyone. This applies to several Intel chips. I tried an i3-8350K and got a stable 5.4GHz clock, an i5-9600K with such an overclock is not to be sniffed at. Will bench perhaps a couple of fps shy of the i9-9900K. No overclocking, then at this time of writing, Intel offers nothing that Ryzen does not outside of paying Intel Tax, as if Intel were a luxury brand like Hermes or Louis Vuitton....

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

i comepletely agree with you. if OC'ing, intel and only if yo have the money, if not , AMD FTW.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you just wanna game get the cheaper i7-9700K, a good GPU and a decent 144Hz Monitor.

And yes there are CPU alternatives from AMD as well.

If you wanna get as high as possible fps, then the Intel will do great.

If you don't care for getting a bit less fps, but are interested on other tasks like editing, rendering, streaming and similar, then maybe an AMD processor would be the better option.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The i7-9700K is well suited for gaming. However at this time of writing it is hard to say how the industry will adapt to widespread adoption of CPU's with hyperthreading. I would say the 9900K is a safer purchase considering all the unknowns. Right now though, based on what is out there, the 9700K is one of the best chips for gaming, possibly tied with i9-9900K.

I was wondering if getting the i9 9900k would be worth it or just overkill for a new PC I want to build.

Not overkill at all given gaming is the main application.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube