add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 1600 Owner, Time to Upgrade

esotken

2 months ago

Currently using a Ryzen 1600 running at 4.1ghz on a B350 Tomahawk.

I dont even know if I want to upgrade to third gen Ryzen or not but curious on opinions.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I dont even know if I want to upgrade to third gen Ryzen or not but curious on opinions.

Best bet would be to hold off a little since you already have a decent setup and 4th gen is right around the corner.

It doesn't make sense to upgrade when you wouldn't be getting the best option.

At least long enough to see how AMD handles another generation on the socket if they manage too.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

So many situations where the 1600 is still worth buying for a new build, let alone replacing or upgrading it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You could upgrade to a 3600.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

And those work on 350? Thought 450 was the bare minimum recommendation?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe wait for the B550 Tomahawk

Ryzen 5 4600

DDR5 Ram

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I’d save your money and keep the 1600 as long as possible. I don’t see any reason for it not to stay a strong performer for a good while

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently using a Ryzen 1600 running at 4.1ghz on a B350 Tomahawk.

Stick with what you have and see what AMD roll out with next year.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a 1600 on a B350 Tomahawk and have been contemplating upgrading. Third gen Ryzen seems to be a pretty significant step up in performance from gen 1 but I'm still getting great use out of my 1600. I don't play super demanding games (Destiny 2, Warframe, Overwatch, Frotnite) which helps me out, but idk what your use is like. Another reason that I've held off is because if gen 4 releases next year with marginal gains over current gen 3, then I might as well wait for gen 3 to be discounted to do my build. Plus in 2021 they will be (supposedly) switching over to AM5 socket which would hopefully discount AM4 even more. Ultimately buy when you're ready and have the money. If you can be patient it might pay off. But I do feel like there is a fine line between being patient and getting caught in the loop of "but what about next year...." I personally am very indecisive :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

A 1600 at 4.1GHz? Sounds like you did really well on the silicon lotto as many cap out between 3.8 to 4.0 GHz. There will be some gains going to a 3600 but I am not fully convinced that the improvements would yet be worth the cost of doing so. Your 1600 is still 6c12t and at a decent clock rate so it should still be able to handle all modern games well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube