add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does OC memory crash games?

pcbldragain

3 months ago

Built system with a 2400G/x470 asus prime to play older games for now, its now set to all stock speeds/voltage and stock boost. Only the memory is OC to 3600. Its 3733 mem and at those settings/voltage. It will run a while faster than 3600 but eventually crashes, but benchtests (cinebench, hwinfo bench) seem fine at 3600, no I have not benched the mem for a long time to verify but its been in use all day for days and no issue mostly with desktop apps. Not had time to mess with mem settings more.

But now after a couple games run fine I get a couple that crash even BSOD on win10. I look it up and nobody reporting these issues. When they run it looks fine, these are DX9 games with lower specs that should run no problem, run on a 1080 monitor. Typical game requires this: Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce GT 520/Radeon HD 3850 and above). All these games are FPS type games or flight arcade-ish games.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Try raising the voltage. You may have some luck.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It is at the 1.35 it calls for at 3733. However I found you can change games to win8 compatable if you dig in steam files, so I did that, and it played good 5 min then I looked at option menu and the whole game vanished to desktop. I don't have any steam experience but have to say I thought this kind of stuff was mostly in the past lol, or they would give you a heads up for setup. I guess I should put the mem back to stock and see if it works, maybe mem is not the issue.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Does OC memory crash games?

Unstable memory overclocks will crash.

no I have not benched the mem for a long time to verify but its been in use all day for days and no issue mostly with desktop apps.

Then its desktop app stable. But that doesn't mean that it is stable for heavier workloads.

However I found you can change games to win8 compatable if you dig in steam files, so I did that, and it played good 5 min then I looked at option menu and the whole game vanished to desktop. I don't have any steam experience but have to say I thought this kind of stuff was mostly in the past lol, or they would give you a heads up for setup.

Ryzen has never had Windows 8 compatibility so issues are to be expected.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Turned off DOCP and it plays fine, guess I have to mem test settings and find a stable speed. Strange the other games had no issue with it, maybe they use memory differently.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Different things use memory differently and its a Ryzen where depending where on the data fabric the load is can also trigger instability at higher memory speeds with the first two generation.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help! It was said faster memory helps the APU more, so I got it. I will get some benchtests and play with it when I have time. Eventually it will get a GPU and CPU upgrade, GPU were pricey this spring so I didn't get one.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

For a Raven Ridge processor you should stick with a max. ram speed of 3200MHz.

Most probably that's why your games are running unstable even if the board seems to work fine on that speed.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. All stock settings and these games play smooth. Sure I'll hit a newer one at some point. Browsing/utube and 2 old games ran fine, 2 other games no way they would just crash at any moment. Singularity fine and Sublevel Zero no way.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube