add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HDD sequential speed lower than before

Mjolnir242525

29 days ago

The hard drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB. When I built my PC, about four months ago, sequential read/write in crystal disk mark was about 200MBps/110MBps. Now it is 130/100. No crashes and/or blue screens, corrupted data or strange sounds at this point, just the speed. That doesn't look normal for a half full new drive to me... Is it faulty or is that a normal slowdown? I'll probably just get a Samsung 860 QVO 2TB if I find out that the drive is failing.

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Nature of moving part storage. You have more space filled on the HDD so it is possible when it is testing sequential read/write it may not be as sequential as you think. It could be filling then reading sectors that are spaced out in different areas as those areas are what is open and it takes time for the disk to rotate and read arms go to the right track for each segment. That will slow down a HDD more. This is the very reason why 4k random read performance is really poor on HDDs and SSDs excel compared to HDDs.

[comment deleted]
  • 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Windows already does this automatically and has been for a while. IIRC Vista is where that started. That being said it is not perfect and it gets harder and harder to accomplish the more the drive fills up, hense what OP is likely seeing.

[comment deleted]
  • 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Depending on the mobo, spend an extra $22 and get this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Storage Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $249.98 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $249.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-20 12:50 EDT-0400
  • 28 days ago
  • 1 point

The value on that drive is really good for what you get, solid recommendation!

Question is what is the OP putting on his HDD? If it is just bulk files like pictures/movies/etc and is only upset on the speed due to running benchmark tests then I would not even worry about a SSD in the first place. If it is a game drive for all his games then either that or an Intel 660p would be fantastic. I wondered this because he stated speeds from crystal disk mark comparing speeds when he first got the HDD and now. Not many people care to benchmark speeds of a mechanical HDD these days as most people understand they are slow drives to begin with and SSDs are much faster. To that same line of thinking many people know if they want speed then a SSD is better.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Didn't they used to say the start of a hdd was faster, always get your windows scratch file there, etc.?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube