add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel B365 chipset and XMP profiles

rmicmir

29 days ago

Hi PCPP members!

I've been looking for some time one building a new high-end computer and trying to optimize the cost and features by simply removing features most probably I will never user. I was considering mainly Z370 and Z390 motherboards but recently I saw a Youtube video of a fresh build using B365 and I said to myself "is that an option?"

It is nearly and option when compared to Z3X0 chipsets as, from my requirements perspective, it has no OverClocking capabilities (something I will definitely not use), it has fewer PCIE lanes (which I will probably never use) and less USB connectivity by default (which is solved by the integrators when adding extra chipsets to the board). The only problem I see is related to XMP profiles.

According to mobo manufacturers, B365 is able to use Intel XMP profiles but the ram MT/s speed limit is 2666 and this is what makes my head shake. How should I read this? Does it mean I can buy a 2133 MT/s RAM and use its XMP profiles to get up to 2666MT/s? Or, in the other hand, does it mean I can use a RAM speed over 2666MT/s by using the XMP profiles?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

B365 is able to use Intel XMP profiles but the ram MT/s speed limit is 2666 and this is what makes my head shake. How should I read this? Does it mean I can buy a 2133 MT/s RAM and use its XMP profiles to get up to 2666MT/s? Or, in the other hand, does it mean I can use a RAM speed over 2666MT/s by using the XMP profiles?

You have to buy 2666 RAM and use the XMP profile to enable that speed.

Almost all RAM currently on the market runs a 2133 for the default profile no matter what speed it has been validated to run at, and will default to that first memory profile when first booted requiring a manual change.

For example.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $144.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $74.98 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $60.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $280.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-19 10:33 EDT-0400

Unlike AMD A/B/X and Intel Z chipsets you can no longer manually tune timings on Intel B/H chipset motherboards and XMP is the only way to run faster then 2133.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for your explanation! Now I can understand why the DIMMs I were considering , which were advertised as 2666, had some data about 2133 and 2400 on the specsheet. They must be native at 2133 and have been validated to run at 2666 via XMP.

Thanks again!

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

They will have a 2133 default and 2666 rated profile.

They may also include a 2400 profile it isn't as common these days but some kits still have mid-range profiles.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube