add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would Full Divr VR cause human extinction?

shiba2666

1 month ago

If we have full dive VR would there still be people living in real life ? I am referring to VR brain implants,BCIs or a VR chip connected to a central Ai computer not VR headsets, googles, etc? I am asking hypothetically since i know that full dive VR is still a while away

I know that we need to eat and drink etc but maybe using life support machines to take care of our bodily functions, also I know we need money, but I am sure we can also make money using VR

Maybe if we had a 100% fully automated and self sustaining world?

If you were to give a rough estimate what percentage of people would stay in the real world instead of using these devices? 75 Percent maybe

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

Sounds like a futuristic science fiction rather than something that would actually happen. Even if it were happen it'd probably be so far into the future we'd have more than just earth to live on.

Kind of reminds me of SAO, only without the cringe inducing harems.

But to answer the question, probably; Its hard to say a concrete "yes" or "no" because if this were to happen we today wouldn't know how technologically advanced the world would be at that point.

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

cringe-inducing harems

I see that you are not a man of culture...

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Kek

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Sounds like the Matrix but ok

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Great, people would spend a lifetime complaining about polygon tearing and lighting artifacts....then some freak would go real world and turn off the power lol. Hmmm, sounds like a scifi movie to me.

I think you would get some that did and some that would not. You get in there your body is going to fall apart, so you might not come back.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The future of humans!! Always connected!!

From the animated film WALL·E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kdRdzxdZQ

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

“Maybe if we had a 100% fully automated and self sustaining world?”

Good luck, my friend! To give an estimate: I think almost no one would stay in the real world. What would be the point?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you were to give a rough estimate what percentage of people would stay in the real world instead of using these devices? 75 Percent maybe

99%

It'll never be that affordable.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If we have full dive VR would there still be people living in real life ?

Yes, because as a matter of preference there will be people who prefer real life. No matter a thing is, or how appealing or addictive a thing is, there are people who just aren't interested or are going to abstain.

Nothing is universally everyone's cup of tea.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

People are really stupid but I feel like they can't possibly be that stupid.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i would not do it. it would be far to dangerous and costly and frankly not worth it since it would probably cost $50,000 (rough guess, could be $100,000) to wire all of your nerves into it. it could also permanently damage your nerves and you could be a veggie for the rest of your life. i would guess 85-95 percent would be in the real world. and i would just settle for a pimax+valve index controllers and lighthouses+haptic vest+walkaround platform (those exist) and it would be cheaper and a lot safer

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

There will always be people who will find immersion in technology unfulfilling.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It would couse the rich to go extinct...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Philosophical problems aside, there are many, many other problems:

Food and water. If everyone is in a VR world, who's producing these? I guess robots, however, resources are limited, and minerals, oil, and radioactive elements take forever to replenish. So unless we have an automatic planet exploration and extraction machine, it would not work. Plus, there are only so many planets we could access if we travel under the speed of light, and basically only 1% of them have the resources we need. Oh, I didn't even include the resources needed for the robots.

Maintenance. Who would maintain the system? I'm assuming its robots again. But what if they screw up? Then RIP us. Also, who maintains the robots? More robots? How can I trust them?

Computing power. How much computing power is needed? We all know that the Moore's law is now ending in the next 10 years. The amount of computing power we need is almost infinity. No way are we going to get so much computing power.

Economics. Two words: insufficient funding.

Biological. Of course, there are going to be unexpected biological problems. Wiring human brains into VR machines is not going to be without problems. Also, what about health issues? Human bodies can't last that long, and soon, if everyone is still in the VR world, we will just die off. Plus, how do you even remove the VR system? It's not as easy as Ctrl + Q or Ctrl + Alt + Del.

Other. Who's going to update the VR system? And who will be in charge of saying what gets added into it? Will the VR system be a paradise? Can people do anything they want? (without consequences) Or will it be realistic? This will surely lead to many political problems. This is like a heated game developer meeting on what to add and not add to a game, but it's IRL, and 1000x worse. It may even cause (VR) wars.

• 1 month ago
  • -2 points

There's one unbreakable rule that you're ignoring: the 2nd law of thermodynamics. But, Dyson (the guy that makes the concept of a Dyson's sphere) also suggests a solution to this: We'll have to wait between thoughts, like shut down entirely in those periods of time to preserve energy, so that we'll go on for really, really, really looooong, as long as the universe doesn't get tear into infinitely many pieces or a black hole suddenly sucks us in or just something goes wrong, which all have high chances of happening after some time.

That means, as time goes on, more and more will become a virtual life, as I'd put it, and eventually, everyone will be inside the simulation, and die as a whole.

So, the conclusion is, yes, I think everyone is going to live in the "fake" world, and no, I don't think we'll go on forever.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • -1 points
  1. Entropy must increase as time goes on. This means we re going to have less and less "usable" energy.

2. Energy cannot be created, nor destroyed. So we cannot make more energy to use.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • -1 points

Yeah, still apply

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube