add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I ask for for my B-Day?

vincent_2006

3 months ago

was wondering what u guys thought i should ask for for my bday. (13th B-day) its the day after Christmas.thx.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 8 points

Ask for a savings account and for your parents to double whatever you can save during the year. It will encourage you to save and give you something to look forward to the whole year through.

Then you can decide if there's something you really want to buy or prefer to have the feeling you have money in the bank there available if anything does come up you really want.

• 3 months ago
  • 8 points

You need a copy of the Constitution of the United States of America.

• 3 months ago
  • 4 points

lol

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

you mean a fully printed copy

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

Just hire Nicolas Cage to steal the real Constitution for you. Who needs a copy when you have the real one? Also have him grab the Declaration of Independence while were at it too.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

this is the only correct answer

• 3 months ago
  • 5 points

Bank account is a good idea. Some wise person said something like, "the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the next best time is now". Education, transportation, recreation, lots of reasons to save money, and even though interest rates aren't great, the habit of thinking long term is going to pay off.

• 3 months ago
  • 4 points

You can never go wrong with money, a watch, or a printed copy of the Constitution!

Are you an active reader by any chance?

• 3 months ago
  • 11 points

or a printed copy of the Constitution!

WTF. what 13 year old wants this for their birthday? Lol

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

(Confused Nick Young)

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

A good one.

Well, it’s never a bad thing to have and they can be found fairly cheap. Why not get one?

• 3 months ago
  • 5 points

Why would you get one as a 13 year old.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Starting to get ready for high school. What better time than the mid-teens?

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

But why would you need a copy of the constitution for high school...

I never seen someone so enthusiastic about the constitution.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What does a constitution have to do with high school?

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

well, he might not be from the US

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok, that’s a fair point. If their country doesn’t have a constitution, probably wouldn’t make much sense.

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

Every country should have some amount of political documentation of significance. Or could swap for scientific or artistic documents. Blueprint diagrams, DaVinci's works, botanical descriptions, patent papers, etc.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

i am lol

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Why get a 13 year old something they have no interest in and may not even look at? The parent would just be throwing away money.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

“have no interest in”

You can’t just claim that for Vincent. Maybe they’re very interested!

“The parent would just be throwing away money.”

Alright, look at it this way: basic wrapping paper for a few gifts only costs about $3 or $4. Who’s really interested in that stuff? It literally just gets thrown away at the earliest convenience; it’s not like one spends a great deal of time observing it. A Constitution, on the other hand, can be found for as little as $2 or $3, and a Constitution will at least be seen on passing glance or whenever he’s, maybe say, waiting at the bus stop. In addition, a copy of the Constitution has great value as an investment! While he may not be truly interested now, it is in the teens and early adult life that most people develop a sense of pride around their country. So, any time in the next half-decade in which Vincent may want to read any of it could benefit from him already possessing a copy of it.

• 3 months ago
  • 4 points

Alright, look at it this way: basic wrapping paper for a few gifts only costs about $3 or $4. Who’s really interested in that stuff? It literally just gets thrown away at the earliest convenience; it’s not like one spends a great deal of time observing it.

I...

What even is this argument

Of course no one has interest in wrapping paper, it's literally designed to be a one-time use item and then discarded...

A Constitution, on the other hand, can be found for as little as $2 or $3, and a Constitution will at least be seen on passing glance or whenever he’s, maybe say, waiting at the bus stop.

Yeah ok, because people bring their copy of the constitution to the bus stop lol.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

true

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Are you asking about a printed copy of the Constitution?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Get 'em educated early I guess...

• 3 months ago
  • 4 points

I think everyone made their suggestions in good faith with the intention of helping someone else, I don't think anyone or their suggestions should be criticised for that, come on guys.

• 3 months ago
  • 5 points

Well, I don’t think I’m being hated on; haven’t lost any karma.

Slightly off-topic, but when I originally saw a bunch of replies in my inbox, I thought it was going to be about this:

“Are you an active reader by any chance?”

So, I thought there was going to be a fun discussion about good books to read.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

lol, i am a very active reader.

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

Have you considered reading The Code of Laws of the United States of America, the greatest country on Earth?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Wonderful! What kind of books and literature are you into?

(also, I won’t continue to try and convince you anymore because they all make me seem as a crazed proselytizer , but just want to know: are you interested in the Constitution idea?)

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

ill think about it. Im mostly into fiction, but i dont mind nonfiction.

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

A watch is always a great idea - do some research before, and it can be a really good gift.

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

A large framed picture of Jesus

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

You are a bold one!

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Ask for Christmas gifts for your birthday

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

If nothing in particular comes to mind, straight cash is always a safe thing. Just make sure to deposit it and earn interest.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah Interest!

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Robert’s idea of a saving account seems cool. If you feel like doing something good, start a donation campaign on facebook and ask that whatever money they were giving you, be instead given to a charitable foundation of your choice.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Well imo you can never go wrong with asking for a LEGO Star Wars set. I recommend the AT-AP or Clone Scout Walker. The Droid Gunship is a good option as well.

Or on the larger side, the 20th Anniversary Slave One.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it culturally normal for a 13-year-old to still play with Legos?

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

Legos are for people of all ages.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the same when I saw a story about a Lego kit that is based on the set of Friends. Is it normal for a grown adult to want to play with Legos? Think that adults are the ones that are familiar with the Friends series.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Well LEGO makes a lot of sets targeted at adults. Like the $800 UCS Millennium Falcon. Or the $700 UCS Star Destroyer. But also weirder ones like The Beetles Yellow Submarine. I don't think kids nowadays are fans of The Beetles.

Also minor nitpick. The plural of LEGO is LEGO.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I don't get - they must be targeting the adults. I guess there are enough adults wanting to play with LEGO (notice no s....). Ok, no problem - sometimes as adults one needs a way to take the mind off the pressures/stress of life for a bit and this is one way to do it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know if it's specifically them wanting to play. I know a lot of people like high quality display pieces. I know if I had a UCS(ultimate collectors series) set I would display it. Maybe make MOCs(my own creation) of battles. I am actually wanting to start building some MOC battles. So lots of reasons why adults may want to buy. But in the end you are ultimately playing with LEGO.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I see nothing wrong with it. I might have personally lost some interest in them, but I see no negative.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it culturally normal for a 13 or 14 year old to build a computer? No. Cultural norms don't matter, Especially with LEGO. I still buy them. I am almost 17. Some LEGO sets are listed for ages 14+. And I don't think sets like the $800 UCS Millennium Falcon, or the $700 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer are for kids. LEGO is for all ages. I mainly buy because I love Star Wars and they make great displays. And I want to get into MOCs of battles.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair. I still have my old legos tucked away in a closet. Haven’t touched them in a long time though.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Absolutely. Due to the varying nature of lego sets, you can really find a lego theme or particular sets for particular ages.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

no offense but i kinda grew out of that 5 years ago tbh

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Brokerage investment account if applicable in your country, you probably have enough free time to find good stocks and you could start building your net worth before most people even get their first cars. Even small amounts like $100 or less can be enough for you to start earning money with a few hours of research and minimal upkeep.

A savings account would be alright, if its a high interest savings account like robinhood where you get 2% interest and not like the big banks which is usually around 0.03% interest. There are regular ol checking accounts out there with better rates than what the big banks are giving with savings accounts. Otherwise you might as well ask for cash.

Some PC parts or a PC if you dont already have a gaming PC.

Gym membership, obviously not a luxury gym but most cheap gyms are passable in quality.

Steam or console games.

Money to do a side business, the earlier you start the more chances you get to get a successful business, i knew a kid that made alot trimming the hedges off rich peoples houses in HS.

Christmas cookies because those are the best.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

good idea

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

i like to rake my neighbors leaves and shovel in winter, and walk dogs. made about 500$ so far, but blowed it all on stupid things

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

i.e 711 slurpeesssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats what i did when i first started working, when i used to feel reliant on said job to survive. However i changed some things and made some choices and if a "recession" were to occur i could survive a while.

If i were you, i'd try to concentrate on making more money and treating yourself when you hit a milestone or if you had a really productive day, gotta give yourself a reason to work but also use the money earned as an opportunity to increase your net worth and when you turn 18 you can either more cash for college or continue to increase your net worth even after high school.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You can never go wrong with clothing

Merchandise for stuff you're passionate about works too, like a cap or a t-shirt =)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

true

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

An investment account with some money in it.

This is better than money in ur bank account bc the intrest rate is around 1% instead of 0.05%

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

good idea

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

An Asus ROG RTX2080ti, I doubt they would get that for you though. It costs like 2k

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

they wouldnt lol

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

lol almost half a thousand views on this post

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Happy birthday in approximately 2 months! No hobbies you'd like your parents to spend money on? The money in the bank idea is actually very sound. I hope your parents are good with handling money though, and could pass upon you some financial wisdom. Sure wished I had parents like that when I was younger.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well Happy Birthday in advance. And as for the gift, ask for a new phone or something idk. As gorkti2000 said, the copy of the Constitution is not a bad idea lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thx

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube