add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comic Book Heaven..... Finally !!!!

ArakZantara

3 months ago

I got out of the hobby in the mid to late 90's like a lot of people who felt betrayed . This year I cracked open the old collection and started dusting things off. I hit a couple of online auctions and finally after 40 years got my hands on a GREAT copy of Werewolf by Night #32, CGC 9.2 first appearance of Moon knight.. also snagged a mint copy of She Hulk #1 CGC 9.8. Just in time for Disney/Marvel. woot any other collectors?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SQilwLUgrm-g47OZPl71ssE_6PIgXrGb?usp=sharing

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That's so dope. If I had more time and money, I'd definitely buy more hard copy comic books. For now it's mostly digital

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey right on little brother and dont sweat it. Like I said it took me over 40+ years to get it .. and thank god it was a 9.2 cgc I snagged it for $2980 to sell as soon as the Moon Knight stuff hits Disney and make a profit. I could never have afforded it in my 20's and 30's The other day a cgc 9.8 ( there are maybe 8 in the entire world) sold at auction for $56,000

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

“ I got out of the hobby in the mid to late 90's like a lot of people who felt betrayed .”

I don’t have much knowledge about comic books. Could you explain what happened in the 90s?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Wack story ideas like superman's death, and over saturation of comic books in the market.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I see. I was hoping for something really dramatic, but I guess that’s fairly bad too.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Just a few of the things that ruined it for the loyal collectors of the past several decades

Series being relaunched with new #1 issues.
Issues printed with multiple Variant Covers so that completists would buy multiple copies of a single issue.
Issues sold pre-bagged in plastic, so that one could either read the comic or keep it pristine (or to encourage buying one copy to read and one copy to keep pristine).
Trading cards and holofoil covers appearing whenever the editor thought a series needed a sales boost (indeed, the latter gimmick was so common that some refer to the Dark Age as the Chrome Age).
Massive Retooling of comic series and "shake-up" storylines to generate more publicity for "gimmick" issues. In particular, the 1992 Death of Superman storyline sparked a massive rise in comic book speculators due to its high level of mainstream publicity, and alienated many when the con was revealed.
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You certainly know your stuff, man! Though, I’m not quite sure I understand this part :

“Series being relaunched with new #1 issues.”

Isn’t this something that happens all the time?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You know every year at Free Comic Book day, even though I get free comics, I always make an effort to buy the limited edition comics (now trying to do so twice a year) from decades ago. I have a friend who collects comics and leaves them around as they rise in value. Sure I may be more into manga than comics, but I do like reading some comics every now and then. I have a comic of the Deadly Class on my desk, something about reading hard print Comics has its own appeal than manga on phone.

Like you will never know, one day these comics you decided to buy who knows how many years ago could now be worth something amazing.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Your absolutely right and for a lot of purist like me who may own an issue that has been bagged and boarded for collection.. we will go so far as to buy a reader set of a beloved story. this is a low grade set that is for reading as the name suggests

also quite a few of my bronze/silver are looking good..nothing crazy like golden age but still a far far cry from the 20cents I paid for them :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube