add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why don't people look at ram as a problem to their build?

koojo

1 month ago

I've had lots of issues with "cheap" ram in the past. IDK..... bottom dollar parts seem to have major/minor problems, "but" these parts are often overlooked, also as "OK", PSU's mainly... peace...

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

to be fair, RAM has gotten a lot better. I can't remember the last time I had a dead stick right out of the box last. That said, if a system fails to post, cutting down to one stick, and trying again is normally a viable troubleshooting step. Have not seen a case speaker in a while... the beep codes were useful in troubleshooting that sort of issue as well. Lots of MOBO's now have a little LED display that will throw codes, and tell you if its a RAM issue.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes it has. But many boards compatibility with it are often overlooked and many machines have problems because of it, maybe not at first but down the road, very vital component that is often looked at as indifference without realization there may be problems with a very component that is new out of the box.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

That's almost totally restricted to AMD Ryzen system or overclocking of RAM.

And even then on AMD systems it comes and goes depending on what BIOS version is being used, the specific motherboard and CPU/APU in use, on those AMD systems RAM receives a significant focus when it comes to issues.

Overclocking wise mileage always varies and you get what you get.

So for anyone who did any amount of basic research into the platform before building it's not an issue.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It seems a lot of people don't research the parts they buy, I have done this before as well. I used to think "ram is ram" and didn't matter until I bricked a z77 board with some cheap klevv ram trying to get it to it's rated speed, my hard lesson. But it is how I see it, that I'll spend $20-$30 more for ram I know is good, as well there's outrageously priced ram that isn't great as well.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

The chips on pretty much all RAM are made in one of 3 factories. There isn't much variance in actually quality between bottom barrel RAM and top dollar RAM.

PSU quality is 100x more important than RAM quality.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Agreed.... I had more issues with ram because in the past I focused on better psu's more so than ram. Thanks.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Umm...that is why people recommend running the system without the ram first, then slowly add sticks in if having larger issues.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Please explain to me how to run a system without ram, im genuinely curious.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, it won't actually run windows or anything, This is usually for if you can't get it to boot or POST or something like that. If the system posts without the ram, them you know your ram is the problem.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've heard multiple times that that is a good idea. I am wondering if it was for two sticks, and trying to take one out, then switch to test which is defective...

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

You test one DIMM at a time. You can't test memory if it's not installed.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well it is interesting how a lot of wacky ideas spread and get repeated often enough people must assume there's a rationale behind it. I mean I've heard a lot of times about worrying about static electricity and that's not repeated and overblown to the point of silly or anything is it?

And frankly I just plug all my RAM in and only fuss with troubleshooting if I have a problem.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've had a few older PCs have the memory go bad and no boot, no beeps on some. These PC took X memory nothing was OC and I bought used/cheap mem for them and off they went running just fine. I assume non OC mem is not stressed and either it works or not, so no cares about quality on a used PC. I could be wrong. I bought speedy Viper memory for my 2400G so I could OC it a lot, it seems to work as advertised, the maker seems to be a nominal player in that market and not some unknown. I figure like with most things if you want some performance, you need some quality too. I've run off brand OC PC stuff years ago and it often did have issues at some point. I've never had an issue with a PSU really, never overloaded one much, only had them die due to old age. I ran an OEM right at the rated limit for years with a large GPU and it still runs, though a lower power GPU is in it now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have run bottom dollar parts, in the past, and had many problems because of it. It "seems", to me, that many issues arise because of ram, as of late. I've had a PSU last me ten years, kept blue screening. Just seems these core components , ram and psu, are often overlooked and bought with an assumption that they will be ok

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I guess I never bought junk stuff, like no name PSUs, but have found them in work PCs. I'm glad everything worked in my build earlier this year because somehow I ended up buying the MB last and some other parts were 2 months old already. I kept holding out for a price drop, it did but that is not the smartest thing to do. The enermax PSU I had bought 2yr earlier for that old PC and never opened the box. Its doing fine but only running a 2400g. Some say enermax was sold and not as good now. This machine is whisper quiet I can say that.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I feel lucky when everything works, and nice when it does. Two 750 G2's for $69 each about 1 1/2 years ago, picked them both up at the same time, I couldn't pass it up. Got lucky on that one. My last build as well went way better than expected, Feb 2019. Had an i5 9600k to 5.3-stable, 3200c14 to 4133c17 stable, it's toned down now to 4.7ghz and newer ram, 3600c16, to 3600c14-14-14-34-For longevity. It seems ram and psu's are overlooked core components, for quality, when many people look for parts and ,not all but, many have issues with said parts. Just seems that way.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why don't people look at ram as a problem to their build?

Not everyone agrees or has been burnt in such a way as to share your values. Is it worth worrying over or is it a mundane detail, individuals are free to decide for themselves. And I choose the latter.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

yes, and I agree. to each their own. funny you say that, my initial idea was "why" they don't. If junk ram works for one person's build there's no reason for that individual to think otherwise. "If it doesn't", even in "the same component build"-chip,psu,board as another, then there's a "why". To each their own. I have long known there's only three manufacturers for the ic's for ram manufactured and since the quality has improved , somewhat- and as well "not everyone"- but seems like its "many" I did this as well, in the past, I used to think a psu was a psu and ram was ram, till I started having problems, with those problems came experience with dealing with such things and deciphering what the "initial" problem was.. In the past I would have easily picked up a 3200c16 kit for $49, sure why not, but now there's no way, to each their own, I gave up $134 for a 3600c16-16-16-36 kit and got it down to a modest clock of 3600c14-14-14-34, I know this kit will work in anything I put it in, as far as recent/ near future. to each their own. maybe it was experience I had in the past with dealing with bottom dollar parts is "why" I posted this thread. I think you answered my question. . -Hypothetical-That certain individual will have to learn it on their own, aside from internet suggestions, that DDR7 @5800mt/s cl12 for $99 will have to learn on their own that there is better and more "stable" out there for a few dollars more-hypothetically thinking- Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube