add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I need help finding a chair

Retro_R

3 months ago

I know that this is the most out of place thread but I couldn't find any (popular) chair related subreddits and my butt really hurts. So I've had my IKEA char for a while, but the cushioning has since gone away and now I basically sit on wood. I've put a blanket on the seat to deal with the issue but ideally I want to get a new chair, and preferably one that won't hurt my butt. I've been seeing this one, which has a pretty good value compared to other chairs, and has a mesh bottom (which I suspect won't have me sitting on wood since there is no wood) I've heard its a really good chair, but there are none within 20 miles of me. There is this one, which is near me, and has a mesh bottom, but is more expensive for less features (head rest, back support, etc) so, can anyone help me please find a chair? One that is comfortable, and won't have me sitting on wood a year later?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I avoid mesh it isn't a great idea because nothing is there if the mesh fails unlike a cushioned chair.

Used to have them at work and we all asked the boss to never again bother with them.

I like the Big&Tall Serta models at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-Big-Tall-Commercial-Office-Chair-with-Memory-Foam-Multiple-Color-Options/45822137?selected=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-Big-Tall-Office-Chair-with-Memory-Foam-Adjustable-Multiple-Color-Options/142742056

They last well unless the kids take something sharp to them, or toss them down a flight of stairs loaded up with toys, and are pretty comfortable.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

They last well unless the kids take something sharp to them, or toss them down a flight of stairs loaded up with toys

Personal Experience?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, The kids found a mech pencil and punched it full of holes so I gave up and let them have it for playing with.

It probably would have survived the flight of stairs if the phone pole hadn't stopped it, and now we secure the gate when the door is open differently so there isn't another accident like that.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have this chair
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-Big-Tall-Office-Chair-with-Memory-Foam-Adjustable-Multiple-Color-Options/142742056

I can talk from personal experience, as i am sitting in the Serta big and tall right now. I think i have had it for 6 months. It is used almost every day at work, for at least 7 hours a day, i have had no issues with it. The chair feels solid, that high back is really nice and does not give. I also lean back in it all the time, it feels solid when you do, and not like you are going to tip over. I a one inch spot where the stitching has started to come out of the one arm, but it is barely even noticeable . The hydraulic shock works well. I have the one that is on the second link, more costly, but pretty sure it is worth it. This is the best chair i ever bought.

One big con is that the controls for the chair sometimes dont stay in place, however that is a one second fix, and mainly the control to rock the chair back, the other one for height seems to always stay in place correctly. i am at 255 pounds, and 6 feet tall even.

Retro_R as far as being butthurt... sorry had to. It has springs built in, with memory foam on top, it works really well. I have not felt butthurt since i got this chair.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

They last well unless the kids take something sharp to them, or toss them down a flight of stairs loaded up with toys, and are pretty comfortable.

lol I probably won't have to worry about that since I don't have kids.

But do you know if maybe there is some non leather models of this chair? i find leather cold and sticky

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Mesh fails: Falls to the floor

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been running on left over office chairs for many years, some of them are very good quality and last way longer. I bought one at Sams club it was not bad but yes after years the cushion blew out and it tore, and it always squeaked. I keep getting a newer chair from work or friends and not bought another. If you know of that or a used office place, some of them are much nicer than store bought. Most are material covered of some kind.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

So, just go used office chairs?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Its worked for me, but I have no idea if you can find them at your location. This one is certainly higher quality than the sams chair for $100 I think it was....and it was free from a friend. There are places here that sell used office furniture.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Budget?

The staples / office depot chairs are OK but tend to get saggy or loose after a year or so. If you're willing to put a little more money into it, a SitOnIt chair has worked for me for the last 3 years. If there's a good office furniture retailer near you, they might carry it, or be able to find an equivalent. They are half the cost of the expensive Herman Miller stuff.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

well, preferably less than $250/300 but i'd say $500 is the limit

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I don’t like gaming chairs. Youtubers use them because they are sponsored but every time I try one they are kind of uncomfortable. I My go-to chair is Ikea’s Flintan. It’s a pretty comfortable chair, and it doesn’t have armrests, which I like because I don’t like armrests. You can also lean back because the back bas a spring based mechanism.

Actually you can buy a pair of armrests for it but they’re cylindrical and don’t look very comfy.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

My go-to chair is Ikea’s Flintan

thats actually the chair that I have right now.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol! What a coincidence. How long have you had it? I just bought one for me.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say at least a year. Not for sure though.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 2 points

It doesn't really seem like that would be a good choice for where I'm gonna put it. It does look like a good chair though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube