add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buying Parts Piecemeal

AOS9010
  • 8 months ago

Hi All, I was looking to build a pc for myself to replace a gaming laptop that has reached it's limits in terms of hardware. My target was to buy my parts around Black Friday/Cyber Monday and hope to save a few bucks but now I'm thinking it's probably unlikely I have enough set aside by then, I have considered just buying parts as I have the disposable income, but is there a risk to doing that? Like if a part is DoA I won't know until I actually start building, I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid though.

This is my part list if anyone is curious https://pcpartpicker.com/user/AOS9010/saved/ykNGcf

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

There isn't any more risk than buying them all at once, the only difference is waiting to see if it's DOA instead of knowing it's DOA since you already have all the parts

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

start with something more modest and upgrade your way to even better

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

This was the modest, I'm hoping in 2-3 years there's a GPU that can do 4K at the framerate I want. It's not really a matter of income so much as it is timing, I'm doing a lot of traveling in November so its just bad timing on my part I guess.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

that's not modest, I mean like a $1000 base platform

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think I could build anything for 1K that's better than what I'm using right now. My current pc was $2500.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

well what are the specs

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not really the point of this build. What I want is a system where I don't need to upgrade anything other than the GPU/monitor within the next 5 years. My current system is struggling to max out 1080p games within the last two years or so, and the leap to 4K isn't viable yet so I'm trying go for 1440 at high frames/fidelity as a stopgap.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Changed a couple things for price/performance. The better motherboard with silver accents that also matches your GPU, almost the exact same RAM but cheaper, 3700x because it is essentially a 3800x with different boost behavior leading to slightly less performance in specific workloads, massive and excellent performing and crazy high endurance 2TB NVMe SSD instead of the split WD Black and Evo drives, 3TB HDD instead of 2TB hybrid drive. I couldn't resist and if you have questions let me know.

As far as buying piecemeal... You might see some savings, such as in SSD or PSU, but you might need much greater flexibility in what you plan to purchase as the truly good deals are often few and specific. I sometimes recommend buying piecemeal and have done it myself to save money, but generally need to target a spec rather than a specific model. Worth noting RAM is already incredibly cheap, SSDs are not in a bad spot pricing wise, and CPU/GPU/motherboard seem very unlikely to go on sale other than maybe a limited in store deal at a Microcenter.

When buying piecemeal, I focus on getting the more general parts first that usually have great warranties and aren't platform specific, like RAM, case, or SSD. The motherboard and CPU are generally the last things I buy since I really want to take advantage of the DOA return window on those. GPU I can test in my current rig, but if I couldn't I would get that closer to the CPU/mobo.

There is a small risk of even parts like RAM being DOA. That is a risk of this strategy, albeit a small one, and buying some of the most expensive and most obnoxious to warranty parts last helps mitigate the issue.

Of course, that's my opinion. Some people don't see the small savings as being worth the small risk, while others will go full on buying piecemeal including used hard drives and whatnot.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

This doesn’t really work very well. You have to start with a whole system. It’s fine to start with a cheap build and upgrade over the course of a year, but 1-2 months all you do is run out of easy returns and there’s a good chance you’ll need them. I bought a bad MoBo this weekend (well, the Ethernet port was dead after 15 minutes of driver downloands). I just walked into Microcenter and swapped it out. Can’t do that if you don’t have a way to test it within a few days of getting it.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

A. This is my biggest concern. But I was talking over the course of 1-2 months, not really longer than that.

B. I'd buy the parts that see the largest discounts since that could make a significant impact on the budget if the deal is good enough.

C. There's always going to be something new and improved. This part list has gone through SO much iteration as a result of new things coming out. But I'd make my peace with the parts I've committed to once the card leaves the wallet.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That's fair but to me it's not much hassle to shop around I bought the parts for the build I did recently from like 5 different places based on prices. I don't mind doing that. And the price alert emails from the site are super useful and keep me from needing to check a bunch of places myself. I have alerts on all my parts for if they drop 10-25% (depends on cost) to send me an email.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube