add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

having a puppy in an apartment

nostalgia2302

1 month ago

Hey guys!

So I finally live on my own since 2 months ago and I just asked the owner if I can have small dogs in the apartment. I'm seriously considering getting a puppy if she says yes.

Is this a good idea? I'm a student so I don't know if it would mess up my life adding an extra responsibility to my schedule. I work online from home so the only moments I'll be gone is during classes.

What about leaving a puppy alone for too much time? They need more attention and training than let's say 18 month dogs.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 9 points

I don't think it's a good idea, houseplant < fish < four leg. I get that you might feel lonely, I get that there's some wing stretching, it's too early in the game. Sorry, I vote bad idea.

• 1 month ago
  • 5 points

Have you thought about maybe getting a snake, they dont require much attention, cheap to feed, and they will lovingly cuddle a rat every cuddle a weeks...

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

It's a major responsibility that you are seriously underestimating.

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

The way I see it, is that if you have to ask a computer part forum if getting a puppy is a good idea,

You’re probably not ready to get one.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

You just got into your own space two months ago, give it some time. Just do you for awhile. Don't take on a puppy right now. My gf and I just got a puppy and it was a huge change to our lives, and she works from home AND doesn't have to go to classes like you would. Plus they are expensive.

Also yes leaving puppies by themselves for a long time is bad. It can be psychologically bad for them if its too long, for one, but for another they're going to go nuts while you're gone. You have to crate them while you're gone so they don't pee everywhere and tear stuff up, but that just makes them extra nuts when you leave because they don't like being locked up. You can train them of course but that takes time and in the interim you're going to have a very stressful time.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Bad idea.
First you need to train your puppy/dog to not violate your/landlord's floor.

After that, dogs need company/companionship. They are social animals and don't want to be left alone. When you go to class, the dog will be alone. Dogs are known to scratch the door the entire time you are gone. They will also chew on things the entire time you are gone.

If all that sounds like something you want to deal with, then get one.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

It's best to get your legs under you before trying to add four more. Puppies, while not demanding of 10 hours care per day do still require quite a bit of work. It's something that you will want to be sure of before commuting. I'd recommend refraining from getting one until you are confident you have your situation and schedule down to the point that you can readily evaluate the effects of adding more to it.

Just food for thought.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you're probably right. I talked to my sister and she said it would be a hassle until the dog is properly trained to go potty inside the apartment, and that takes time.

The easy way to own a dog is living in a house, because you know, you can install doggie doors so they can go outside.

So yes, a puppy is not a sensible thing to do for now, but my mother says that I could wait until summer to get the puppy, and spend the summer training it so it'll be apartment ready for the 2020 autumn semester.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Definitely not a good idea at all. Dogs are a very big commitment to your time and responsibility, they are not good first time pets nor as easy as everyone says, especially with being a student and being away from home. Especially since it's a puppy, going away all the time like that will just give it abandonment issues. If your dog barks in the apartment, your neighbors are going to hate your guts. Plus, even if you get a very small dog, keeping it cooped up in an apartment it's whole life is not good for it at all.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'd recommend a pretty dope fish tank instead. I got a buddy with a monster tank and like a foot long koi or something in it, with about a dozen glowy fish, and one that resembles a catfish that's about 8 inches. Definitely easier to care for, and still is something cool to add.

Snake would be dank if you're into that kind of thing. And you can play with those too.

Puppies chew up everything. I have a boxer that's about 8 months old and I regularly find him gnawing on random things (walls, doors, his tail, etc.). They chew on everything.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Teething, it's a puppy.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, puppies chew everything. I used to distract my dog when he was a month or two old by giving him a chewstick. He really likes them

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Lol, when my dog was a puppy she would destroy every Xbox controller she could. Lasted about a yearish. Expensive year.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oh I know, and he has plenty of toys and snack things, but something about a wall just gets him going.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

My cousin was just telling me the other day that his bulldog eats walls. Honestly, never heard of such a thing but I guess it happens more often than I thought, lol.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Before him I had 0 experience with a dog doing this, but I swear it's his favorite. I don't know what it is in particular he likes (maybe the feel, maybe something actually taste-wise in it), but it's mildly annoying lol

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

oh no, id never get them. i mean if u like them then sure. i have parrot and shes too loud sometimes. she just cant be alone or she will scream and everyone of my neighbours will hear it.

puppies are cute. now for ur actual question, i dont know ifu can leave puppies home alone for 8h.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube