add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I've gone clean

cheezmeister

4 months ago

After forcing my computer through a hard year of Windows, I have abandoned it (a licensed copy btw) in favour of Linux.
(audible cheering)
The distro I'm using is Ubuntu Budgie because it's really clean (and Ubuntu has enough GUI that a Windows addict like me can transition smoothly).

Setting it up was hell on earth, I tried 2 different USBs, 5 ISOs of 3 flavours of Ubuntu and nothing worked until I actually burned a USB with Rufus and copied the partition of the USB onto my auxiliary SSD, then booted from that. (hint: not the cleanest method)
and then, 4 of my rear panel USB ports stopped working, so I finally mustered the courage to update my BIOS again (my motherboard rejected the last BIOS update I did and I nearly melted into a puddle on the floor when it was bricked)
What are your favourite distros?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 6 points

Setting it up was hell on earth

Hence the popularity of Windows. I appreciate Linux for it's user-friendliness in the sense that you can essentially customize the OS to how you want. Takes some nerdiness I guess. But since I just want to play video games, Windows works fine for me lol

• 4 months ago
  • 5 points

After forcing my computer through a hard year of Windows I have abandoned it (a licensed copy btw) in favour of Linux.

Setting it up was hell on earth...

Yup that sounds right.

It's forever fashionable to hate on Windows, but honestly Linux is for masochists. Even when it doesn't go as poorly as yours (all my Linux installs have been MUCH more smooth), it just never feels like the OS is fully functional. Like something is always broken or partially-broken but you just get by.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

It’s not that deep lol

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

you just don't get it

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

hehehehe xD

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Kek

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep it polite or don't comment on this site.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

After forcing my computer through a hard year of Windows, I have abandoned it (a licensed copy btw) in favour of Linux. (audible cheering)

And then everyone on board clapped.

Sorry to tell you but none of the big 3 operating systems are a disease.

Aside from that, congrats on getting everything working as you imagined. Sounds like a lot of work.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

No hard feelings?
I guess the "big 3" would be Windows, macOS and Linux, which all have their uses... but once you get on Linux it's hard to get off (same goes with Windows or macOS)

Thanks! PC building is frightfully absorbing, but I love it :)

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

No hard feelings?

No hard feelings :)

Thanks! PC building is frightfully absorbing, but I love it :)

Yeah, glad you ended up with something you're enjoying

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

but I love it

That’s all that really matters at the end of the day

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You forgot temple OS /s

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I just had to Wikipedia that and it was an OS made themed on the Third Temple, that a delusional, schizophrenic, bipolar programmer made after being deliberately instructed by God to do so.

Time to switch OSes again

• 4 months ago
  • 0 points

I mean, Android(s) and MacOS are Linux too, sooooooooooooooooooo...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess Android is technically a modified Linux and macOS is a modified BSD, which was an inspiration for Linux...?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

yup

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

macOS is not even BSD. It’s based on NeXTSTEP, which was based on Unix Version 8.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points
  • clap clap clap *

mint is the best

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It's nice

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Stories like this is why there are not more Linux installs - at least that's my take on it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I plan on building a new PC using linux for content consumption for one of my friends. But linux is still far from being widespread use. One of the biggest barriers to entry is game optimization, because both NVIDIA and AMD dont do up to date drivers for linux i have tested several versions of fedora linux and getting 11 FPS on Mario Oddessy on a RX580 ( at 480p ) is not a fun experience. My main 1080ti doesnt bode much better tbh.

I use just windows 10 at the moment, its decent enough for any win7 fanboy to upgrade their systems at this point.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. Only games that are really made for linux (C++ is almost mandatory) can run smoothly, not to mention the lack of G sync and freesync over HDMI.

Windows 10 is decent. I like that there's customizability, but it's definitely not any more lightweight (bootup times are a driving factor for me).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 is decent. I like that there's customizability, but it's definitely not any more lightweight (bootup times are a driving factor for me).

Understandable, dont put windows 10 on a 32GB SSD, if you value your computer. Although for me an SSD, fixes most of the boot time problems, until i get another forced update. Linux has its uses and the best part, is its free and open source the two best words to describe anything tbh.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol I totally agree

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Mint/Cinnamon , Ubuntu for the Gamepack, for modern rigs perm install. Back Box if its really and old PC /laptop that I want to bring back and give new life...nothing better. The rest are live, virtual machine, USB's I run for assorted purposes. For any mission over the great firewall of china or any sensitive area I start with TAILS or even MOFO When I put on the white or grey hat : Caine and Parrot are favorites, Black Arch, Kali,Deftz lately played with Manjaro which was ok Solas - while I applaud the new from the ground up build, it feels almost proprietary which sort of defeats the purpose. I ran Deepen for a couple weeks , damn good work and gorgeous, but not for me. It is unusual to hear of the community not helping out the new penguins making their way over from the MS / Mac shores. cough that is unless said penguin never asks for help :)

I have lived through and watched windows become an invasive, bloated, poorly coded time suck. not to mention the gathering of personal information and and the behind the scenes use of ones personal resources without permission. I have been exposed to servers that had information on users that would shock and sicken. So, In the 90's I get why more people did not choose the open source , clearly superior program. they PAYED for the path of least resistance. learning something new and mostly text driven ...oh hell no. moving forward rights were eroded , support became a joke and you were forced to upgrade equipment almost every release. " you dont have permission to change that" " you cant delete that, we run it late at night when your asleep without you knowing. soon , by all reports people began to look for other options. it sucks when half the time your on your pc your frustrated and doing work around and fixes. as a veteran the idea that we stand by while google, facebook, microsoft and some others take away more and more control, freedom, privacy and most importantly information and the ability to get it makes me furious.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That's great! I've been using Debian/Ubuntu on my primary computer for 3 years now (and I'm 14 :), the only reason I was on Windows is because I got a free key... it was tempting but now it's gone I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

That's a lot of distros. Applause... that's amazing. I'm stuck on Ubuntu because I am a game addict, but once I get a life I'll have to check out more distros (non-Debian based ones). I guess I never asked for help because of my pride; I had installed Ubuntu numerous times, even on this PC, so I felt like it was my fault it wasn't working properly :) turns out it is because my BIOS was out of date (the hidden curse of new parts)

Paragraph 2... I agree completely. I may not have been there since the beginning but I can certainly appreciate how invasive, bloated and poorly coded Windows is (especially developing in C#. It's basically MSDN or stackoverflow if you want to go lower-level than basic dancing lights). I must have spent 3 hours trying to get Windows how I wanted it to act, and it took maybe 15 minutes (after the chaotic install) to get Ubuntu to do the same.
I can't wait to say goodbye to all this conglomerate TOS;DR spyware like Google... at least I'm free from Microsoft or Facebook for now.

What do you think I should try as my next foray into Linux? I have a spare SSD and I'm eager to have a go at something new!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Little Brother, Slow response from me ..and I wont be here Monday, er unless its late. It seems everyone's favorite cowboy geek is getting a new hat. I am being sworn in as the new precinct chairman for Harris county ( Houston TX ) The republican party of course :) But on to you bravo wtg linux and coding at 14 .. I am truly impressed. You ask what you should next.I have to be honest. Parrot It is a nice mix of desktop and hacks&cracks and its Debian based so you will pick it up quickly. I love games as well but I have to have the discipline to handle other responsibilities as well. for instance today and most of this week I am going to learn to dry clean and press some of the comics from my personal stash. and as far as me knowing a lot of distro's I am decades older then you. I am the Sensei. Do you know that word? All it means is the one who came before ... anyway yeah Parrot. they are always neck and neck with Kali . Which kind of gets more press in the pen tester community. I like Kali, just like Black Arch but neither of those flip my switch like Parrot or Caine (Forensic Powerhouse ) Let me know if you need any apps or help and for sure keep me in the loop with the games. When I play its usually 8-12 cst . Peace Arak

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow congrats!
Thanks! Parrot looks pretty nice, I'll have to give it a go, maybe next weekend (school and all)...
I wish I could dry clean but I only have one suit :)
Konichiwa, Sensei (I think that's right?)
I'll have to have a look! Thanks so much!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotta ask, how is your experience with triple booting? I’m trying to triple boot windows with two other Linux distros. And I also have a few distro choice questions: kali vs parrot, and what is the best Linux for ricing? Arch? How well do any of these distros support AMD gpus?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

OK my ninja knows how to ask the money questions. The rig I finished for this site has Win 10 /Ubuntu /and was hosting mint-cimm which I removed ONLY because I kept messing up . The old I.D. 10t error O-o. oh and clearly this is the Nvidia 1080 sli ,I think mostly because its my first sli, and this is MSI UEFI/BIOS

This rig is 10/Parrot-Sec/Ubuntu no problems , but to be honest I like the ASUS UEFI/BIOS and to be fair , I have much more time with it. The AMD (R9-390) setup was a pretty easy IMO and So far no problems. The biggest problem for me WAS keeping up with work and what partitions etc especially after a over caffeinated 20 hour burn, and wanting to find the solution THAT minute. walk away ..come back with fresh rested eyes and boom @@ So for me , at least for the foreseeable future , duel is enough since I run a LOT of live distros off usb Kali or parrot-sec? I like parrot-sec for a install and keep kali on usb. entirely subjective . FOR ME Parrot allows me to work...and still chill a little bit without rebooting or changing distro. Not to say you cant do that with Kali . I think Someta summed it up beautifully down below ..funny as hell !! Ricing OMFG ... SO many times I hear Arch , but I am going to disagree with this one only because at the moment I like Debian based- why you think I am rockin the Parrot with KDE Plasma. Technically you could choose just about any that have been updated in the last couple of years. Gentoo -easy Arch - pack a lunch predicated your exp and driver setup. awesome stuff though .. check my ninjas rockin I3 on Github Deepin - would almost be my number one... thought it was gorgeous . just didn't like the geographic limitations at the time ( 2 months back maybe)

I mentioned the AMD vid with this rig and I have run the following live or VM off this hardware. Caine, Mofo, Tails,Kali,Parrot,Black Arch, Arch,Ubuntu,Manjaro,Mint, and Back Box on the OLD laptop behind me I hope this has helped . It has certainly reminded me of the wonderful customization and awesome advances with the gaming community Peace Arak

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Arch Linux ez.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought you were going to talk about drugs and alcohol lol

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Worse... Microsoft Windows

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Kudos for you. My work consist on working with spreadsheets, so I can't do Linux because of incompatibility since the company uses Excel.

I guess I could always try to find a legit copy of Windows 2010 and run it with Wine, or Office 2013 with CrossOver, but I want to avoid possible problems or corruption of spreadsheets, or changes in formatting style. I'm not too keen on running a Virtual Machine just for that.

I got a Macbook, anyways. Any job that's doable on Linux can be done on Mac OS and I have the full office compatibility and integration.

Also, I'm a gamer. I know about Lutris, but generally, any game that requires any kind of emulation will be sub-par to a native install. Not to mention constant updates that would make games stop working and stuff. There's usually about a 15% FPS loss compared to the Windows version.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah... yeah it's too bad Microsoft is so damn proprietary so you can't use Libreoffice or any other Linux-friendly software.

Yeah anytime I try to emulate a Windows feature (e.g. a game) I end up wasting an hour looking for workarounds and it ends up taking up too much disk space and not even being an enjoyable experience.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been running with xubuntu on my laptop for awhile now and its been my favorite distro so far.

I still have windows as my os on my main computer though.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I always come back to Mint. It's just the easiest for me, the UI is nice, and I've never really had any issues.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

TL;DR; Don't use the command line. It's amazing. Use it.

Let me warn you that Linux is a slippery slope: First, you install Ubuntu. Maybe something breaks, you have to go to the command line... You slowly find yourself getting curious, and keep going back to the command line (why use the GUI when ip addr is so much faster?). You use it more and more. You start writing your own scripts to speed up tasks. You wonder what else you can do on the command line. You hear about distros that don't install a GUI. You install Arch Linux. You start playing with compiling packages. You install Gentoo. You get tired of compiling everything. You switch back to a GUI-based distro. You get tired of the GUI - you are Hackerman, after all. What other OSes are there? Ooh. There's BSDs. You install FreeBSD. You wonder if there are more secure BSDs. You install OpenBSD. You jail everything. You realize you're not even using Linux anymore. Oh. Oops.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, forgot to answer the question. I don't have a favorite distro. I liked Antergos, but that's gone now :(. I'm testing a couple others.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

My ninja!!! Had to stop by and give you major props for the best and funniest answer of the month. 10/10 Dope!!! but you left out the Steam OS / gamepack- Ubuntu...Manjaro...Fedora Sparky. playon linux, WINE. Lakka and he who shall not be named ..........Crossover(burn hellspawn) ;) wahooo were having fun now Peace Arak

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Had a pretty smooth Lubuntu experience, have a little trouble with controlling the volume of my headset but other than that it works.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

And you have now switched back to Windows.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube