add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Steam Downloads

13jonesb
  • 7 months ago

I've got a great internet connection. About 200 mbps. I should have no issues with internet connection. No one else is using the network when i try to download steam games. Should be no issues. I've reset the download cache, no change. it occasionally peaks, but most of the time it is on no bytes/s. the peak was about 17mb/s. I've got a solid ethernet connection too.

wtf is wrong here??? i can't download anything. why??? any help really appreciated.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

how long did you download to determine the connection is crap from Steam - in minutes?

do a couple of "speed tests" from speed test sites. What did you get?

Does the slow speed happen anywhere else?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I had it downloading for about 40 minutes. In that time I got maybe 20mb done overall.i used the Google seed test, along with a few others. All gave me the same result of 200mbps download speed.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you on wifi or ethernet?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

as said above, i'm on ethernet.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Where are you located. Have you tried reinstalling steam? Check what download server your on (in Settings>Downloads).

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm on the london server. already checked that. no issues there. might try reinstalling steam though.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Did reinstalling fix it?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i didn't reinstall it, but it downloaded in the background while i was playing another game. going to try downloading a different game.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I see that this started 11 days ago and you still have no FIXED/Solved in your title. I am going to assume you still need help. I been with them about 10 years and this is what I check any time this happens to me... which btw is very rare. If you have squared away defenses on your perimeter, - Lan, routers,rig etc?? We will rule out the I.D.- 10- T error .

1. Check/test your hardware. I know you said Ethernet was solid, cable test , RJ-45 ? Nic
  2. check for programs/apps that conflict. not just startups , but the shy, quiet ones running in processes.
  3. Cache - I see you did this
  4. In Steam change your DL region AKA choose a different server

5.Change your bandwidth- settings,downloads, limit bandwidth drop down menu set no limit 6.If your Win10 stop the WPR “Windows Performance Recorder” It causes high disk usage which will slow Steam sometimes. just open a command shell, run CMD then type "WPR -cancel" You could also disable Connected User Experiences and Telemetry type "stop-service diagtrack" You can do one or both. its up to you.

Last but not least- You could kick Win10 to the curb and come join me in a nice stress free pool of Linux any flavor ;) Good luck Peace Arak

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I'll work through these suggestions too. hopefully one of them should work. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube