add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Could this be profitable?

ZFGeek

7 months ago

I cut grass for my neighbors as well as my church. I've noticed that people are more than happy to pay 20+ dollars a week to get their grass cut. At that rate, I get about $10 an hour, give or take a few dollars. Would it be profitable for me to expand that to more people, and make a business with it? I mean, grass will always need cut, and there will always be people who don't have the time to do it. What do you guys think?

Edit: So, I keep getting asked to cut people's grass on my street(the street I live on has a lot of older people), so I may just start saying yes to all of them and see how far I can go. Thank you all for your helpful responses! ;)

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

Certainly it could. What could it hurt to try? Try your neighborhood first. You pick up one or 2 people and you have a good bit of spending money each week.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Honestly, go for it, A lot of us call this hustling and grinding. Starting now, and learning is a good thing. Than in a few years you might be able to expand into bigger things with lawn service or something else.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Check the going rate in your area. Depending on lawn size 3rd party services charge 50-75 per week for mowing/edging.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I cut my half acre lot with a push mower in 40 minutes and the local neighborhood kid charges $35 (25 for front, 10 for back) and I gladly pay him when I am out of town because he does a damn good job. The local professional lawn cutting services charge $50 and of course they do a better job, but it's not $15 of a better job.

Basically what I am saying is, $10 an hour is too low for a service like lawn mowing. Get yourself a good push mower and keep the blade sharp and you can clear $500 a week if you cut straight lines and clean up after yourself.

Best of luck!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

In order to have people working under you, you'll need to register a business, get a license, and pay taxes.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Freedom....

Okay, the taxes I get, lol.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, this is like an age-old money earning method for kids lol. Like it's a cliche at this point. But it's a cliche because it works, and has worked, for decades and decades.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Who is paying for the gas, if you are using a gas mower, and the maintenance of the mower? Are you using your own or the customer's mower?

When it rains a lot, meaning two things, you can't cut the grass until it stops (sometimes a few days in a row), and then the grass will grow extra fast. Just things to consider since these things are not a constant.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If I were to expand like this, I would get my own equipment, and I understand the startup costs of that. I use a mower technically owned by my parents right now. I might actually give clients a choice if they want me to use my mower or theirs(just an idea at this point).

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube