add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm a dumb American and need some travel tips

waj287

8 months ago

So I'm going to Europe in a couple of weeks for a couple of weeks and I was wondering if there are any conduct tips overseas that do not apply here.

Not much else to say about it. Tips please?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 10 points

Don't say you're American.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Noted

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

if necessary (but not to the authorities), say Canadian since accents are close and most of the time indistinguishable.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Or....and I'm just throwing this out there....be proud of your nationality and don't try to hide it like a pansy? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

except i don't want to die. yes i know in most cases i won't die, but i've had some rather bad experiences overseas

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're afraid you're going to have a high propensity of being killed because you say you're American, avoid that shithole of a country. Because, in civilized societies, you don't need to worry about being likely killed simply for stating your nationality.

• 8 months ago
  • 4 points

Generally you won't have to tip food service workers like waiters and such. In Europe they pay people enough money to survive so they don't need tips like they do here.

Don't act like an idiot. Be respectful. Don't talk loudly/shout in public. Don't talk on your phone on public transport.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

dont talk on your phone on public transport? Never heard of that one...

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

It's rude and inconsiderate to those around you.

• 8 months ago
  • 4 points

Don't be rude, don't act like a moron and your fine.

and, dont **** in the trash can... yes, that happened a few times

• 8 months ago
  • 4 points

Tips for London.

If you bump into someone, and they apologise it's quite normal, just apologise back that's the general etiquette doesn't really matter whose fault it was.

Perhaps best not to try and to talk to people on public transport.

Go in a shop or pub and ask if you need to know something.

You can actually talk to police officers if you get lost or need something, most British cops are happy to help.

London is the most diverse city on Earth so don't be shocked by all the different people.

Most British people like Americans, especially American tourists, but Brits are fairly reserved even when they like people so don't let this put you off.

Ask a local what a taxi should cost to where you wish to go, so you have an idea and don't get ripped off.

• 8 months ago
  • 4 points

Ask a local what a taxi should cost to where you wish to go, so you have an idea and don't get ripped off.

Agreed 100%

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

If you are quoting someone, you can put a > in front of what you want to quote, and it will display it in quotation styling. Like this:

Agreed 100%

I also agree, this is a good tip.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks Lol I was trying to figure that out for months!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

London is the most diverse city on Earth so don't be shocked by all the different people.

Expect the same or more so in Paris. At least that was my experience.

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Always approach people (well in France at least) with a greeting before asking for assistance. Good day sir, Good day madam, - Bon jour...

Don't be loud, or yell with excitement.

Or watch and episode of Amazing Race - and don't behave they way contests do while in other countries.

Also, dress conservatively - no blazingly bright colors. Don't wear white sneakers/athletic shoes.

We went to Hard Rock cafe in Paris a few years ago - you could just glance at the guests and could tell they were foreigners. There was just something about the way they dress and present themselves. Couldn't put a finger on what it was, but I could tell. On the flip side, we walked into a Parisian restaurant and were handed English menus without being asked!

• 8 months ago
  • 8 points

We went to Hard Rock cafe in Paris a few years ago - you could just glance at the guests and could tell they were foreigners. There was just something about the way they dress and present themselves. Couldn't put a finger on what it was, but I could tell.

Yeah of course, it's because they were all in a Hard Rock Cafe while visiting Paris!

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah - I wasn't thrilled going there, but the food was very good.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Carry your wallet and phone in your front pocket and don’t carry a lot of cash on you. There’s lots of pickpocketing there.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Where are you headed in Europe?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

London, Paris and Rome

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Which part of London?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Not exactly sure. I think as much as possible but the exact parameters are unknown to me

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a big city. But the underground helps. We enjoyed our visit there very much - even without much sun. But I think big cities look better with cloudy days.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Use the underground in London, it’s how you can accomplish most things. For Rome, avoid the crowds and get a guide. Best decision ever made. Paris: book two tickets to the Eiffel Tower. One in the day and one in the night. Ask if you need help because I’ve been to all of them.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The best advice I can give? https://travel.stackexchange.com/

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Just be polite. Also - before addressing someone you might ask nicely if they speak English (unless you speak their native tongue).

In addition, the food overseas (at least for me), tends to be "richer" than in the US. If you have any gastrointestinal issues, you may want to take precautions ;-)

Enjoy your trip!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Still got finals to do though

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The French do speak English but still try to use French and don't get angry when they don't understand you when you are speaking English

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Still tip people. More for upmarket restaurants and places. Amount depends on the food and service etc, varies from £5 upwards.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube