add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
byakas98
  • 10 months ago

I know it's generic but I'm unsure which build to go with.

Ryzen build is slightly more expensive but with a better graphics card but Intel processors are supposedly better for gaming but this system has a worse graphics card.

I know better GPU = better graphics but would appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of each system.

I want to game at 1440p with at least 60FPS with most AAA titles. I don't stream or multi-task.

Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor £238.99 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49 CFM CPU Cooler £55.00 @ AWD-IT
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £204.13 @ CCL Computers
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £125.58 @ Aria PC
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £74.45 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.50 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card £460.00 @ AWD-IT
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £76.00 @ AWD-IT
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £89.99 @ CCL Computers
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans £67.99 @ AWD-IT
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1426.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-03 10:53 BST+0100

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor £286.98 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard £116.71 @ CCL Computers
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £125.58 @ Aria PC
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £74.45 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.50 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card £637.13 @ More Computers
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £89.99 @ CCL Computers
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans £67.99 @ AWD-IT
Total £1509.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-03 10:54 BST+0100

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 10 points

Let's clear something up first. "Intel is better for gaming" is a legacy passed down, and no longer true for the most part. Pre-Ryzen, Intel was superior and AMD was not worth considering for most, if not all, people, so this comment has been true for like a decade, if not more, hence the reason why it's been passed down year after year. Post Ryzen, which is two years ago, this went out the window, because AMD improved the instructions, the IPC, and basically everything that set them behind Intel apart from clock speed, but clock speed isn't everything, there's far more to it that are more important. While it took a good few months to get updates to bring the first generation Ryzen to what it is today, it was the potential it held that got everyone's attention. Today, even a first generation Ryzen 7 is still of great value and definitely worth considering, and it's a two year old CPU. So people saying "Intel is better for gaming today" the only applicable situation is that due to higher clock speeds, it gets higher FPS, but how much does this matter? Ryzen CPUs can get you up to 120 FPS on modern AAA games, depending on the game, and Intel can get higher. This means the statement is only true if you want more than 120 FPS (which the vast majority of gamers don't, most people are still happy with 60 FPS - 100 FPS). If you can settle for 60 FPS - 100 FPS now and in the near future, there's no contest, Ryzen wins in value. Since your demand is 60+ FPS, I think the deal is done, get Ryzen.

With your demands, the second thing is, 1440p, at this resolution and you only want 60 FPS, a better GPU is more important than a faster CPU, which again, just tells me the Ryzen build is better. While a 2070 is just fine, a 2080 will be able to play at those settings for longer. It's buying you longevity.

The third point is, you're playing AAA games. AAA games are demanding more and more threads and will become more common in the future. Would I still buy a 6 core, 6 thread CPU for that? Absolutely not. Threads don't improve performance, i.e. they don't get you more FPS, threads improve frame pacing when they're required, i.e. makes frames deliver at a more consistent rate, and this improves stability because there are less micro stutters, which the eyes are very perceptive of. Suppose a game needs 10 threads, while a 6 core, 6 thread CPU can play the game fine, an 8 core, 16 thread CPU is likely to be smoother. This is something you can't tell from benchmarks and watching videos, because benchmarks only show average FPS, it's not telling you how stable the frames are delivered, and videos are recorded at a stable FPS, which means even if it seems smooth in video, it's a different experience when you're actually playing. If the stutter is noticeable in video, it's very very severe. Look at Black Ops 4 for example uses up to 15 threads depending on the scenario, a 6 thread CPU will be churning at 90%+ just running the game and nothing in the background, because everything is thrown at it. A 2600 that has 12 threads might only be using 70%+ which is like 8 or 9 threads. In this sense, if someone tells you Intel is better for gaming, it's a lie. Granted, 9900K will beat out the 2700X, but the price of beats out the vast majority of gamers too.

This is my approach for your Ryzen:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor £286.98 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard £147.18 @ Aria PC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £81.49 @ Aria PC
Storage Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £69.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card £637.13 @ More Computers
Power Supply Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £64.99 @ Amazon UK
Total £1398.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-03 12:23 BST+0100
  • Get a better motherboard because a nice CPU should be paired with a nice motherboard. It feels nicer, you get better features, and the quality is better. The 2700X should only be used at stock speeds, so the budget motherboard you chose is fine, but I just think it's better for a nicer motherboard.

• Not sure how important the RGB on RAM is for you, but I just wanted to show you can save a lot by not getting RGB. Sure, these RAM are slower, but 3200 MHz vs 3000 MHz (2933 MHz) is minimal difference, so I'd get 3000 MHz instead, since it's the best price to performance RAM right now.

• There's no point getting the 860 EVO. 660p straight up cheaper and faster. Yeah, short TBW because it's QLC, but this isn't a factor worth considering by most users, just like the 660p is an NVMe SSD, but it's not really a factor to consider for most people, however, since it's cheaper, might as well take into account it's slightly faster too. TLC SSDs have reached their end, there's no reason to get them any more.

• I changed the PSU. 550W is more than enough for this build. You'll sit nicely on the efficiency curve and this is straight up cheaper. If you want to consider other brands and series, sure. I think there's a Seasonic Focus Plus 550W for something like £77, you can check that out too.

• I removed the fans, there's no point getting them at all. One, the case doesn't have a clear front or a mesh front, so the RGB can't be seen, and also, it's been shown that this H500 doesn't get cooler inside with extra fans on the front, again, because it's not a mesh front, and the side vents pull enough air with just the rear exhaust, so extra fans on the front don't offer any performance. No aesthetics and no performance gain from the fans, why bother then?

• Just my opinion.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

What this guy said , right here, 100%. A well thought-out, constructive, and helpful response. Kudos to you. :). Wish i could vote more then once.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much for your response. This is really in depth and incredibly helpful in terms of getting out of the "Intel is better for gaming mindset."

I also heard the AM4 mobo will be compatible with further Ryzen generations so another reason to opt for Ryzen for the potential upgrade path in the future.

Thanks again!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem.

And yes, the AM4 socket will be supported for two more generations, so third generation and fourth generation Ryzen will be supported in theory. If you take upgrades into consideration, it's even more the reason a nice motherboard is necessary, because future CPUs may need better power delivery and VRM cooling. These can't be helped without replacing the motherboard, so if you get a good one now, should you need a CPU upgrade, it's definitely open. From a second generation to a fourth generation, it's not going to be a revolutionary leap, so I wouldn't consider it realistically speaking. However, it's nice to have it, come two years, if you decide to stream, do a lot of video editing, or do something that needs more cores and speed, then it's at least an open option. It's a nice bonus to have, given the value of the CPU already.

• 10 months ago
  • -1 points

This is not ture. Intel stilll beats AMD for gaming. AMD cant match the single core speed to give the same performance. Where you see AMD pull closer on gaming performance is higher resolutions where the performance gets limited by the video card.

With the vast improvement in card performance every year even that will change very fast.

The fan statement is also wrong adding a front 140mm fan droped the temps 5C.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Tell me the last game that used a single core?

Like I said, the clock speed does make a difference in gaming, but only in FPS, and even that it's only when you demand insane FPS numbers that the Ryzen can't dish out. Even at lower resolutions, like 1080p, 1440p, if the demand is only 60 FPS, how is Intel better? If not, why pay more for Intel? That was my point.

Very true, but whatever the 2070 can manage, the 2080 can manage for longer. As we've seen in the past. Even a 980 Ti is still relative today, so the 2080 today is buying longevity for the future.

This is the review I based my comment on about the H500: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdliGCqtZg&t=134s

• 10 months ago
  • 0 points

Do some reaserch it's not just the single core it's all the way up to 6 cores. 14% faster using 6 cores 23% faster using 6 cores at top overclock speed that is a big difference.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/4031vs3958

He did not add just a 140mm to the front top like the link I posted did.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

why whenever you get proved wrong you have to tell people to do some research? Like are you that incompetent?

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Just let it go, I've made the same point twice and it was missed. I've clearly stated, I acknowledge Intel has faster CPUs right from the start and they do bring more FPS, but that's it. If you don't need the extra FPS, a faster CPU does not benefit gaming. Make the point once, it gets ignored, I take that it was missed. Make the point twice, it gets ignored, I give up. There are no prizes at the end, so letting go is the best choice. I also made it clear it was my opinion to avoid these disputes, but I guess that went ignored as well.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Nobody has proved me wrong I have backed up everything I have said with links.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel is still a bit better for gaming, but bear in mind that the cpu is basically irrelevant when it comes to 1440p or at least not significant. It'd be better to get a 2080 and a ryzen chip than a intel chip and a 2070.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If you look at my build it has both the 9600K and RTX 2080 for a lower price than the OP's AMD build.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

I want to game at 1440p with at least 60FPS with most AAA titles. I don't stream or multi-task.

Consider a Ryzen 5 2600X instead.

Better value for your intended use.

For just gaming, no streaming and heavy background tasks, the 2600X and 2700X perform basically the same.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Let's back up a little bit here. It's generally true that you can get higher fps out of most games out of an Intel CPU, even when clocks are equal and especially when the Intel CPU can run at higher clocks. There are a few games, and it may be that there will be more, that stumble on a 6-core CPU without hyperthreads; the gamersnexus review of the 9600K had this issue with one game (Far Cry 5, if I recall right), but no others.

But ... I don't hear you asking for max fps. I see a request for a solid 60+ fps (at 1440p, but the resolution is the GPU's problem, not the CPU's), and you should be able to get that out of a 2700X easily. On the Intel side, you could probably run an i5-8400 for most titles but maybe not all. I would go with something like DanteLovesPizza's build, but lose the hard drive and go all SSD. (I'm no great NZXT fan but the case works for a lot of people, so why not.)

Both GPU's will give you 60+ fps at 1440p with the right graphics detail settings, which will be very game dependent but I'd expect at least "medium" for either one. You'll be able to run higher settings and higher fps with the 2080, of course.

If you wanted to save a bit more, you could explore a Ryzen 1700X or 1700 build; in either case you'd probably want a better than stock cooler because you would probably want to overclock a bit. If you don't want to fool around with overclocking, stick with the 2700X.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

FWIW, none of the GPUs in this thread are binned as 400A. Meaning they are the lowest performing 2070 and 2080s available.

Both the Windforce OC, and Ventus OC versions appear to be 400A and will perform better out of the box.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Both CPUs are good for gaming. I think the RTX 2070 should give you the desired fps at 1440p, so if you prefer the Intel CPU over the AMD CPU then I’d go for that one.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

well......that summons it up on the fight of AMD vs intel.

• 10 months ago
  • 0 points

It's not really more expensive and Intel is better for gaming.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor £238.99 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65 CFM CPU Cooler £44.99 @ AWD-IT
Motherboard Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £159.89 @ CCL Computers
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £117.41 @ Technextday
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £62.04 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB VENTUS Video Card £610.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Total £1502.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-03 12:32 BST+0100

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube