add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
twenty_
  • 11 months ago

Hey all,

I'm looking to build a new PC sometime soon and wanted to get some feedback on the parts I have selected, I haven't kept entirely upto date with the latest hardware advances an am hoping someone can point out something wrong with the build or any have any recommendations on how to improve it.

• Budget: ~$5,000 (AUD)
  • Use (gaming, rendering, etc): Gaming (primarily WoW, CSGO, Overwatch) looking to start playing some recently launched games, for example the new CoD release + the occasional programming (Java/NodeJS)
  • Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): I'm looking to pick up a new monitor, will be re-using the rest of my hardware.
  • Operating System required: No

Note:

• I'll be reusing my HDDs so have only opted for a single, large SSD
  • WiFi is a requirement due to the location of my PC, inbuilt WiFi not a strict requirement, currently I am using a USB WiFi dongle and it is more than sufficient

Below are the parts I've picked and am hoping someone can point out any improvements: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ryXNCb

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

This is the build you have put together so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $821.70 @ Newegg Australia
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $119.00 @ IJK
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $315.00 @ Austin Computers
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $348.00 @ Shopping Express
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $639.00 @ BudgetPC
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card $2147.00 @ Shopping Express
Case Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P ATX Mid Tower Case $184.00 @ Skycomp Technology
Power Supply Corsair - 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $285.00 @ PCCaseGear
Monitor LG - 34UC79G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 144 Hz Monitor -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $4858.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-01 20:18 AEDT+1100

Some comments on that build:

CPU – For your described use an i9 is simply not needed. An i7 is overkill for gaming (but can be acceptable if the budget allows).

Cooler – Good choice.

Motherboard – Good choice.

Memory – You do not need 32gb of RAM, 16gb is perfectly fine.

Storage – SSDs have come down in price but over 1TB they are still expensive.

GPU – For gaming at 1440p you simply do not need an RTX 2080 Ti, they are very expensive and unnecessary for what you describe.

Case – These a matter of personal taste. The one you have chosen seems expensive.

PSU – You have chosen an overly expensive one.

Monitor – No price given, I assume you already have this.

Here is my suggestion for less than half the price of yours:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $590.70 @ Newegg Australia
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $119.00 @ IJK
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $315.00 @ Austin Computers
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $131.46 @ Amazon Australia
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $184.80 @ Newegg Australia
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card $749.00 @ Umart
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $118.80 @ Newegg Australia
Power Supply SeaSonic - 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $199.00 @ PCCaseGear
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2407.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-01 20:18 AEDT+1100
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

The part selection was mostly to future proof it, as my current PC is close to 9 years old and will very unlikely upgrade again in the foreseeable future. Regardless, to your comments:

Memory – You do not need 32gb of RAM, 16gb is perfectly fine. Agreed, 32GB is overkill for my requirements - had the option and went for it, I'll rethink this and likely scale it back to 16

Storage – SSDs have come down in price but over 1TB they are still expensive. Noted - This will be my first SSD, so 1TB should be sufficient with some self control on where I install things.

GPU – For gaming at 1440p you simply do not need an RTX 2080 Ti, they are very expensive and unnecessary for what you describe. Noted - Didn't mention in my OP, I'm hoping to toy around with VR, whether this has any effect on opting for a 2070 vs 2080 I'm unsure and will need to do some more reading

Case – These a matter of personal taste. The one you have chosen seems expensive. Case choice isn't finalised, I think I accidentally added it while checking them out

PSU – You have chosen an overly expensive one. The sole reason for choosing the selected PSU is due to the warranty length (10 vs 7 years)

Monitor – No price given, I assume you already have this. No I don't have this monitor yet, the reason for this choice was it had been recommended after doing some reading about what to tie with the 2080. I'm open to suggestions for what anyone thinks would be the best choice to pair with either your recommendation or the 2080. I'm looking to drop my dual screen set up and run a single large monitor.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

For a 2080/2080ti, getting a 1080p 144hz monitor would be a waste of money, you could be driving an ultrawide 1440p display if you wanted. Also at 1440p the cpu becomes almost irrelevant, so for the most part a i5-9600k is the best gaming choice cpu-wise.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

but for VR with some of those newer headsets you might need a rtx 2080, or at least consider it if you want max settings

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that, but a good vr headset would run you about 1k. It'd be a better investment to just get a 1440p 144hz display.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

well some people want VR

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Slight update to the build taking previous comments into consideration, any further feedback would be appreciated.

I've been looking at various benchmarks for CPU & GPUs and have opted for the 8700k as suggested by RedWhiteMonkey and have bumped the GPU back to a 2080, as for almost 2x the cost between a 2080 and a TI, the difference doesn't justify the cost IMO.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ly9zD2

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

You still don't need 32gb RAM for gaming, 16gb is more than enough. If you ever find it needs more it is very easy to buy later and add if necessary.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

^^^

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, taken onboard and readjusted:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zrGZYT

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube