add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Graphic card upgrading

hdramah
  • 11 months ago

Hi,

This is my current system. I want to upgrade my graphic card because It's getting a bit short for VR. I play racing simulators, mainly. So, what is the best graphic card that I can pick without making a bottleneck?

Thank you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor $238.30 @ Newegg Business
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $52.77 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $194.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $83.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card $393.08 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - VS 650 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $30.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1018.91
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $993.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-29 13:11 EDT-0400

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

You could likely go up to a 2080 with no bottlenecking. What is your budget for the GPU upgrade?

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

^^^ bottle necking isn't as bad of an issue as most believe it to be, unless your running a last gen CPU it isn't even a problem in most cases

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I know that, but there are also a lot of factors that I don't know about OP's setup that could present issues, such as if they plan to run at 4k in surround for racing sims. The 6600k will start to struggle. I didn't want to tell OP that they could grab a 2080 and be completely fine and then have it turn out that they are doing something crazy like that and then they have wasted money.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know, thank you!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure about the budget yet, I just wanted to know the possibilities first.

If I finally pick the 2080, would you recommend doing a little bit of overclocking to the CPU, or it would be balanced anyway?

Thank you so much.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I would recommend OCing pretty much anything you can. So long as you have proper cooling it is pretty much just free performance. Even if you didn't OC it should be fairly balanced.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

DO THE PROPER RESEARCH for overclocking before you total your PC D:

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

ocing isn't really that dangerous, as long as you don't crank the voltage you should be fine. If you do it in small intervals, as you should then you'll be ok.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

well not everyone is that smart, i also meant that because if he uses a stock OC software, such as the one AMD gives, it uses more voltage then is needed which might give worst clocks, or burn out your motherboard (there was a post just yesterday where the OC mode on someone's motherboard burnt it out)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube