add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What video card do i upgrade to?

BettaChetta
  • 15 months ago

My current setup is intel i5-7400, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB. without spending more than about 500$ whats the best video card to get? im kinda new to all of this, if you need more info let me know

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't the GTX 1060 3GB enough for 1080p gaming?

Do you play medium settings, ultra settings?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Im not sure exactly what i need to upgrade. i just want to be able to boot up programs and games faster. would i need a better ram or cpu or somthing? thanks for any advice

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

You could try an m.2. 2280 ssd, preferably one like the Samsung 970 Evo. Very fast drive.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

As DrLitch stated below, get a SSD drive.

But an Evo 970 isn't needed really. It cost way more than other SSD drives, and if you insist of getting a fast PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 drive, just get an Intel 660p. (depending your board)

Loading times would be similar fast and it costs almost half the money!

And if you are on a budget, that's the drive you wanna go with.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/6YtQzy,TwWfrH/

Both drives have a 5 years warranty if that matters. :)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought a 1tb 660p and later i saw a vid that linus did on it which kind of made it seem bad. It was something about it using qlc technology and the cache? filling up will this impact me or is it just in very spesifick situations?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

If you fill up any SSD drive, performance will decrease overtime.

So, you don't wanna do that.

And really spending twice as much for an 970 Evo is a stupid idea really, and you don't wanna fill up that drive either.

And the 970 Evo is twice as fast as the Intel 660p (on synthetic benchmarks) and obviously it gets much hotter if you stress it for a long period of time.

So, everything comes down to...are you pleased with the performance of the Intel 660p on your RIG?

If yes, anything else is secondary. :)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

well i havent built my pc yet, but based on gilroars comment I think I'll hold on to it

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

You have to throw 200gb+ at it before you start having issues which is true of most SSD though even SATA although those are less effected as you can't throw as much data at them.

In the real world, it is very rare for a consumer drive to need to accept tens or hundreds of GB of writes without interruption. Even the installation of a very large video game can mostly fit within the SLC cache of the 1TB 660p when the drive is not too full, and the steady-state write performance is pretty close to the highest rate data can be streamed into a computer over gigabit Ethernet. When copying huge amounts of data off of another SSD or sufficiently fast hard drive(s) it is possible to approach the worst-case performance our benchmarks have revealed, but those kind of jobs already last long enough that the user will take a coffee break while waiting.

Given the above caveats and the rarity with which they matter, the 660p's performance seems great for the majority of consumers who have light storage workloads. The 660p usually offers substantially better performance than SATA drives for very little extra cost and with only a small sacrifice in power efficiency. The 660p proves that QLC NAND is a viable option for general-purpose storage, and most users don't need to know or care that the drive is using QLC NAND instead of TLC NAND.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13078/the-intel-ssd-660p-ssd-review-qlc-nand-arrives/9

Unless you are doing what they did and throwing an entire stream library off of another NVME SSD it really isn't going to matter.

Now versus then the pricing has come down so they are in lower capacities costing you about the same as a decent Sata drive, but get into 1tb+ and they are going to bat against the lowest end models and it really isn't a fair fight then.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

So basicly I just shouldnt download or transfer several big files at the same time?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow did not know the price differences between the NVMe 3.0 x 4 drives were so huge, like night and day.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a huge difference between high and low end NVME.

Where the market is getting very interesting is now you can get solid low end NVME for good Sata pricing or even lower in some cases like the 1tb+ 660p.

Even though they might have little benefit for most users if they are being priced with poor performance Sata drives they are easily the better choice.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes but you get a nice performance boost where it counts.

If you wanna save or open huge project files and transfer them as well.

But as gaming concerns the real performance gain is negligible.

For that extra money you can get a better Case, a better cooler or even a better PSU.

That would be smarter. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube