add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help! Radeon or GeForce (newbie here)

CaseRaZe
  • 15 months ago

Hey guys, deciding what GPU my first build should use. Well basically I just want some opinions on the cards. I’ve been interested in the XFX RX Radeon 580 bc of price what do you guys suggest for cards?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends a lot on what you are doing gaming title wise, what your desired quality settings are, and at what resolution and frame rates.

The 580 is okay but with how games are moving along graphics wise it's starting to slip from its old 1080p@60fps Ultra settings on everything. So it gets a hard time since you very well are looking at lowered settings and at that point the 570 are a ton cheaper and do the same thing.

If you are looking at higher then 60fps and want higher quality settings or are moving up in resolution I would move up to a GTX 1660ti which offers quite a bit more graphics performance.

The thing to remember is you can always tweak graphics settings to gain frame rates so if you are not a "Has to play at ultra" player the options are way more open.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely see what you're saying, I will probably go with a higher priced/higher quality card. I really want to build this PC to sustain me for a little while as I dig deeper into the PC world.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't find any decently priced GSync/Gsync compatible monitors :/

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Anything that allows Freesync over Display Port will run with a GTX/RTX card.

Now your mileage can vary as to how good of a monitor it is so check reviews as there are still plenty of issues even when using a Radeon card on some monitors but that is mostly limited to Freesync over HDMI which has no standards unlike Display Port.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't understand, I thought FreeSync wasn't compatible with Geforce cards? Are you just saying you dont neccisarilly need free/gsync?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

NVidia started supporting VESA adaptive sync earlier this year which many consider Freesync.

Unlike Freesync the VESA version only works over Display Port 1.2a or later which any monitor which you can run Freesync over Display port has.

You cannot run frame syncing over HDMI with a NVidia as that is currently only supported by drivers on AMD side and mileage varies there as well.

Edit: Techspot did a article about it soon after drivers went live.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1779-freesync-and-nvidia-geforce/

Basically so long as the monitor works properly with a Radeon card over Display Port it will run fine on a NVidia it just might not live up to their display standards for dynamic range, brightness, response times and so on.

[comment deleted]
  • 15 months ago
  • 2 points

The end product of a gaming PC is what you observe on the monitor. The monitor itself will be an important factor in deciding on a GPU that is well matched to your build. Presuming you have/will get a 1080p monitor to start yourself with, the RX 580 is a pretty solid GPU. Price to performance ratio at 1080p, it is hard to beat. Just double check with the monitor whether Gsync or Freesync. If Freesync, you will be good to go with the RX 580. Gsync will be better served with Nvidia - in that case go for 1160Ti.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but now I’m stuck decinding again Lol, I seen the prices on the GTX 1660 Ti and I’m so unsure. The only thing still driving me rx580 would be monitor prices.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Decide on the monitor you want, GPU will follow. At 1080p or 1440p, the GPU choice, AMD vs Nvidia, is just personal preference, you lose nothing with an appropriate card. Just be sure you understand gsync vs freesync and how that might impact your GPU choice. Nvidia at the moment can run both, AMD is freesync only.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube