add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RIP my 980 Ti

Raybeze_
  • 15 months ago

So my 980 TI just pooped itself about 3 months after its warranty ended (though I've only used it 2 out of the 3 years), so I'm unfortunately looking for an upgrade.

I was hoping someone could help me decide which card I should grab for my needs.

I often play VR with my Oculus, and run 2 - 3 1080p monitors, so I need something with the power for all that.

My budget is about $600 Canadian max, so I've been looking at the 1070, 1660 to and 2060, but I'm not sure which one I should pick up?

The 1070 and 2070 are essentially the same price, but which one would work better for my uses? The extra VRAM or faster VRAM...

Thanks in advance buds

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

2070 is closer to a GTX 1080 in performance, so that’s your best option

1660TI and 1070 are about the same.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately the 2070 is about $100+ out of budget, and I'd rather not wait a few more months to save up. Haha

Unless it goes on a deep discount it's sadly out of my price range.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, then, haven’t you considered an RTX 2060?

(it’s performance is similar to a 1070TI, which isn’t far off a 1080)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Would the 2060 be better than a 1070?

They're nearly the same price, but I'm not sure if the extra speed of the 2060 is worth it over the 2gb of VR you lose compared to the 1070.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be (the 2GB VRAM loss shouldn’t impact too much)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright I'll probably look into that, it doesn't hurt that the 2060 also comes with a game as well. Haha

Thanks bud!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the 980 Ti and the 1070 essentially traded blows performance wise, there was little between them. 1160 performs similar to these cards. The 2060 slots between 2070 and 1070 and is nicely priced. The 2070 is considerably more expensive and it might be hard to justify it for 1080p. Conclusion: RTX 2060.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm finding it hard to justify$200 or so extra Canadian for the 2070, I'll grab myself a 2060 in a week or so, it should be just enough to push me along for a year or two!

I had planned to wait and get the next generation cards, but sometimes stuff just fails.

I reached out to gigabyte to so if they'd do anything for me regardless, so as soon as they get back to me I'll make my decision.

Thanks again bud!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the 980Ti is still a great card, sorry to hear it broke. It would certainly have given you high performance at 1080p for the foreseeable future, staving your hand for a gen or two before upgrading. The RTX 2060 is a nice upgrade though, should keep you going for a long while.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube