add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

16GB or 32GB for my build

noahfuturePC
  • 15 months ago

As of right now, this is my current build... PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $261.73
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $89.90
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste Purchased For $9.79
Motherboard ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $147.99
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $124.99
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $117.99
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $129.99
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card Purchased For $431.23
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $89.99
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $75.59
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $98.89
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 Pro LED (Red) 97 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For $27.32
Monitor Acer - XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180 Hz Monitor Purchased For $346.47
Keyboard Logitech - G413 Carbon Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $62.05
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $34.99
Headphones Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset Purchased For $69.99
Other Corsair Gaming MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad, Extended Purchased For $14.99
Other Belkin 8-Outlet Home and Office Power Strip Surge Protector with 12-Foot Power Cord and Phone / Coaxial Protection, 3390 Joules (BE108230-12) Purchased For $18.48
Other EZDIY Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Red Black Purchased For $29.99
Other DEEPCOOL FH-10 Integrated Fan Hub, Powering up to 10 fans (3-pin or 4pin) with PWM, Occupying only One 4-pin Motherboard Header Purchased For $14.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2306.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-05 17:59 EST-0500

My question is, should I get another pair of RAM sticks?

I use this PC mainly for gaming, coding, and photo editing. The reason why I think I might want a little more is because of the coding program I use. InteliJ IDEA is a very heavy resource program, I have noticed. And by getting more RAM, it will allow me to have more free memory to go around so I'm able to code and game at the same time. I will be making my setup dual monitor as well, which is the reason for this as well. I see myself in the future doing heavy multi tasking. I understand there are other components that come into play, but I know RAM can help a lot.

What do you think?

ITEMS IN BUILD LIST ARE ALREADY BUILT

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing wrong at all with 32GB, it is getting more and more common nowadays. I have never used your software but if it eats up RAM, give it RAM to eat up in that case. 16GB is enough for 99% of gaming/casual use scenarios but those of us that code, develop, simulate, 16GB of RAM is peanuts. In my case, 32GB is barely enough. At the end of the day, in this game, you get what you pay for. If you can afford 32GB of RAM, and it is necessary for your use, then not installing it is to the detriment of your enjoyment and professional use of your PC.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It's nothing crazy, but if I want to use InteliJ, surf the web, VOIP programs, and maybe test games or programs.. it can be a lot. Thank you for the input.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

If already using this PC open the task manager and see how much ram is used/available/free while running those programs.

Other thought is ram comes in matched sets, adding another pair to your existing ram can make it run slower as the two kinds are slightly different... you might want to consider getting a matched set (2x16GB or 4x8GB) and sell your current 16GB

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

So you're saying 4x8GB kit rated at 3000MHz is better than two IDENTICAL 2x8GB kit rated at 3000MHz? Found On Forum The main things you need to watch out for are channels, CAS latency and other timings, and speed.

Motherboards have a lot of flexibility in how they can operate, but one specific design is that there are usually two "banks" for the memory. Within each bank, there must be at least two channels, they must be the same speed, and they must have the same internal timings. It is often a requirement that both sticks also have the same capacity, so you can't mix 4GB with 8GB in a bank (but you could do so between each bank).

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You are comparing what I said to the absolute best case scenario of two identical 2x8GB kits... but if you were buying two at the same time why not just go straight to a 4x8gb (or 2x16gb kit) and know for sure the detailed timings match.

More likely someone has one set of call it DDR4 2400 and decides to "upgrade" to DDR4 3000... except they wont run any faster than the 2400 already installed. Likewise with the fine timings.

As far as I know on the usual two banks of memory, they both operate at the same frequency/timings even if one has 2x4GB installed and the other has 2x8GB.

But I think we agree that getting matching ram kits is important to get the most from your system, we just differ on getting there. I say easier to get the 32GB ram timings/etc you want in a single kit and sell the existing 16GB... you say save yourself the trouble of selling the old ram by looking and getting an identical kit to what you've already got (or getting 16GB of better ram knowing it will run at same timings you are at now)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

This system is already purchased. I'm familiar with CAS latency and timings. I will be buying the same exact kit. That's why I'm so confused about what the big difference is. So many different answers.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd guess the difference between two identical 2x8GB packages of ram are virtually non-existant, but as the system and first kit has already been purchased there is no guaranty that the new kit will be exactly the same.

Corsair is not a memory manufacturer, they could sell ram based on Micron chips for the first manufacturing run and switch to different chip maker (say samsung?) for later kits. Not a likely scenario I admit but can happen. As you are not buying both kits at the same time there is a chance, however small that some of the timings/sub-timings might not be as tight as could be.

Whereas if you buy a new 2x16GB or 4x8GB kit and you know they were tested together and able to work well together.

Answers are all over the place (assuming you've read other posts/forums about this) because not everyone is familiar with timings or able to find the identical kit so while the general advice I've always seen is "don't" your specific case is different as you know what your doing rather than just slapping two extra sticks in and see it shows up in system information.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, the system was just built in the end of December. So I feel like they would be producing nearly the identical memory stick.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It will force the subtimings to be worse

4x8 and 2x16 is harder than 2x8 to run and your motherboard with train memory for that

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

adding another pair to your existing ram can make it run slower as the two kinds are slightly different

Maybe we have different definitions on "can". Yes you can get identical ram to what you've already got and you can go into the bios/ufei and configure timings. Most users won't.

My advice was for the general user, not the advanced guru who spends their time tinkering to get every last 0.01% from their system.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Good catch... OP if you want to code and game at the same time why aren't you looking at a Ryzen 7 1800X (slightly cheaper than your intel) or the 2700X for a little more $? two more physical cores and 8 additional threads will help if coding while gaming.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

This system is already purchased.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Then you should be able to answer your own question about getting more RAM.

Try gaming, coding, and or editing and see how much RAM you are currently using.

If lots remains available adding another 16GB won't help you much.

If very little remains available (FYI cache just means copy of something has been preloaded into ram and can be deleted instantly to make room) then getting more is worthwhile.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

When doing heavy workloads, I usually have about 3-4GB remaining. I understand that is still a decent amount but more RAM would future proof and new coding programs I may use in the future that use a lot of resources. I also figure, purchasing the RAM sooner rather than later would remove and issues such as, different manufactures for the stuff inside the memory itself. Just little things, I suppose.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Then my answer to your question of should you upgrade: no.

But as you acknowledge this is more a case of future proofing in case more ram is useful in future... very hard to answer that as can't predict the future.

What if you add ram now and the PC gets stolen (assuming no insurance), lighting strikes, etc then your out the $100 on ram and got no performance benefit.

Maybe ram prices go stratospheric in future and rather than pay $500 for ram when you need it then, you could have paid $100 now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube