add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will AMD be able to recover market share after their recent endeavors?

malik1994
  • 15 months ago

Intel is basically dominating the CPU scene at this point and the Radeon VII fell pretty flat. Their cards seem to put out less frames but also take up more power at the same time. Used to be some pretty sizable competition before.

Any ideas on how AMD is gonna manage in the near future?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU wise will come down to how well they both manage the upcoming launches and if it lives up to the expectations they are pushing.

GPU wise Navi being a Polaris replacement kills any chances of major changes in the graphics market for this year. With Intel entering the market next year things are going to be rough for them starting so far behind.

Sadly AMD is trying hard not to let on how badly RTG is hurting they managed another series of losses even after rolling the custom silicon division (Console sales) into RTG when Raja defected to Intel.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel is basically dominating the CPU scene at this point

cough cough ryzen cough cough

Intel no longer dominates the consumer processor market. ryzen is huge competition to intel due to its excellent performance/price ratio. Intel would have to pull another sandy bridge OC-level chip out from their bum in order to compete with current AMD processors in the consumer market, IMO

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD has only managed to gain competitiveness in Product In Box Sales which has seen major downturns in overall shipping quantities for several years now.

If you figure in the OEM sales for Laptops and OEM systems where they are virtually ignored as an option there is a real lack of competition.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM's have the issue of contracts, they just can't drop entirely new processors into a system lineup, there's several things they have to work out for that to even be possible, for logistics let alone hardware reasons. if an OEM uses custom motherboards, you have to design entirely new boards and that can be a large cost for a company that doesn't make a huge profit margin per sold unit. OEM's tend to do the cheapest possible however, so if the trend of AMD making good processors continues, i think in the very near future we will see a lot of systems with Ryzen chips, specifically the third gen ones that are supposed to release this year

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM's have the issue of contracts, they just can't drop entirely new processors into a system lineup, there's several things they have to work out for that to even be possible, for logistics let alone hardware reasons. if an OEM uses custom motherboards, you have to design entirely new boards and that can be a large cost for a company that doesn't make a huge profit margin per sold unit.

Up until last year Intel was contracting OEM to use AMD parts as part of their antimonopoly lawsuit loss.

The motherboards for both desktop and mobile parts have been available to them since before Ryzen launched when they were contracted to launch parts for Bristol Ridge.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Up until last year Intel was contracting OEM to use AMD parts as part of their antimonopoly lawsuit loss.

fill me in on that one, which OEM?

and you're right, motherboards have been available, but the reason we don't see them in something like a Dell OptiPlex is, once again, having to custom design a motherboard to meet a wholly different standard, while fitting in a custom FF, and meeting custom spec to fit the needs and purposes of that OEM's tower.

I'd be all for seeing more Ryzen OEM units, and i expect we will see a good balance of them as the year goes on. just a matter of being patient

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

fill me in on that one, which OEM?

All of them that Intel partners with or paid as part of the lawsuit.

and you're right, motherboards have been available, but the reason we don't see them in something like a Dell OptiPlex is, once again, having to custom design a motherboard to meet a wholly different standard, while fitting in a custom FF, and meeting custom spec to fit the needs and purposes of that OEM's tower.

The OptiPlex units use the same form factors as the standard models.

and i expect we will see a good balance of them as the year goes on. just a matter of being patient

Manufacturers are unlikely to switch to a platform that is being replaced next year if they haven't already done so in the last two years it has been available.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel's dominance on CPU side is not heavily correlated with individual CPU sales through Newgg/Amazon to prospective PC builders, who are by far in a minority group. Intel dominance could very well persist due to existing contracts, mobile market, and so on. AMD could very well take over Intel in the PC building market though. On this front, AMD has brought themselves back in the game with Ryzen. I would not dismiss AMD as a serious player with Ryzen 2, they benched their 8core/16thread 7nm CPU against Intel's best 8core/16thread in the i9-9900K and came out ahead. With further tweaks until a release date later this year, it could certainly outperform by a wider margin. Thing is, this CPU is the purported Ryzen 5 3600X, basically their mid-range CPU. Mid range beating Intel's top range, future looks very bright for AMD. The Ryzen 7 3700X is purportedly going to be 12core/24thread with Intel having no answer to it - at least not in short term.

GPU wise? Nothing to stop AMD from resurrecting this side of their business. I am sure their R&D team are fervently working at it. Might not be this year or next, but you can bet your bottom dollar AMD will have their "Ryzen" moment with their GPU's as well. Do not forget, next gen consoles by Sony and Microsoft will be sporting AMD hardware. If stats are to be believed, the PS5 will be packing as much power as a current Ryzen 7 2700X and RTX 2080Ti and will be due for release next year at a purported price of $400. Quite impressive really.

[comment deleted]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't think that AMD completely abandoned the high end before the 480 design. Some designs were better than nvidia, most weren't, but they pretty much had a set of cards that they could sell for each market segment (and typically had to give a discount thanks to not being as fast as nvidia).

The current abandonment of anything significantly faster than 1080P@60Hz not only makes it an afterthought for gamers looking to buy cards (even if they only want 1080P@60Hz), it also makes any game developer uninterested in developing for AMD cards (fortunately for AMD, if they care about consoles, they care about AMD GPUs).

I'm not sure what happened to AMD graphics, but the best guess seems to be that nvidia has such wildly superior lossless memory compression that they can splurge on circuits that directly render pixels while AMD has to spend huge sums on memory bandwidth (Vega is said to be "memory hungry". Either they are spectacularlly inefficient or nvidia is simply much more efficient. Probably a little of both).

I'd like to think that a 580/590 on 7nm with GDDR6 might be able to challenge a 1660ti, although this approach is unlikely to allow performance approaching a Radeon VII (and AMD has already mentioned that they don't plan on any new high end GPUs this year).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube