add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming cpu ?

dan29
  • 15 months ago

what is best for gaming amd or intel?

mainly gaming and watching videos

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Two answers here:

1. Best bang for buck - AMD with their Ryzen 5 2600X.

2. Best performing - i9-9900K for more than double the price of the best bang for buck.

Difference between i9-9900K and Ryzen 5 2600X is price and perhaps bragging rights. Gaming performance, not significant enough to be meaningful (except perhaps at 1080p 144Hz plus where Intel will outperform handily but that aspect will also depend on the GPU, given all things contribute to the system performance). Multitasking, not much difference for non workstation loads.

Gaming: The single biggest difference is the GPU - upgrading the GPU has a much larger impact on performance than upgrading a CPU. You cannot really go wrong with Intel or AMD. You cannot go wrong with any 6 core or 8 core CPU by both companies - you will have a terrific CPU for gaming and general multimedia use. Heck even a 4 core i3 or Ryzen 3/5 will hold it's own in vast majority of games.

Truth be told, there really is no such thing as a gaming CPU. All CPU's can be used for a variety of applications, gaming being one of them ;-)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends what your budget is. Intel has better single core performance, generally resulting in better gameplay, but AMD has more value, and better multicore performance. Since you are only going to be gaming and watching videos, I would consider you go with intel.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

"Gaming" could mean a lot of things. Intel certainly has an edge, and that typically matters when pushing the framerate up and beyond 144Hz. More to the point, gaming rigs tend to center on a GPU first, the monitor second (which is something that really needs to be paired with a GPU, unlike many noob questions about "CPU/GPU bottlenecks") and the processor a distant third.

Depending on how expensive you need your GPU to be, you may need the value of an AMD chip. Or you might be pushing your framerate as high as you can and need the highest single thread (or per-thread) performance you can find and accept far less cores and go with the Intel. Or simply pay through the nose for a i9 9900k and have the best of all worlds (until the next CPU comes out).

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately there are well coded game engines and crappy ones, single threaded game engines and actively multi-threaded ones. You're asking "how long is a piece of string", which I'm sure isn't what you had in mind, but it's the reality.

What sort of games? being played at what desired fps and what resolution? are you looking for maximum fps cost no object, or lowest cost, or best "value" (which is very hard to quantify)?

As for videos, if you're talking about youtube and the like, any modern CPU can do it without any trouble. If you're transcoding multiple 4K+ streams on the fly, that might be different.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm i was just wondering if one over the other was better, just planing an upgrade think ill just go with the i7 9700k, thanks for all the input

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube