add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm upgrading my GPU and need advice!

jamcmich
  • 15 months ago

Hey everyone,

I'm currently into my second year with my first ever PC build. I mainly built the machine for content creation (Photoshop, After Effects, etc.), but have shifted focus to playing video games. I've been under the impression that my graphics card is somewhat outdated for current popular titles. The games I'm playing are: Final Fantasy XV, Apex Legends, and Overwatch. I usually turn my graphics for every game all the way down because I dislike fluctuating fps and I'm sensitive to input lag at various frame rates; but even then, I'll still get lag in important game play situation and it sucks playing at a lower resolution than my monitor (1920x1080 @60Hz) for the benefit of more stability.

My main specs are:

CPU: Intel i5-6500 GPU: Radeon RX 470, ROG Strix Gaming (4GB) Motherboard: ASUS H110-M/E M.2 RAM: 16GB

Assuming that upgrading my graphics card would be the best solution to what I've described, which GPUs are reasonably priced and desirable in the current market? I'm just looking for something that would fit my needs! Thank you, and I appreciate any help offered.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

rx 470 should still be decent for 1080p. Did you update your drivers lately?

But if you still want to change what is your budget?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, it has pretty decent performance; but in most FPS games I have to set everything to the lowest settings. I have all my drivers updated and I've optimized my system well (experience from doing this regularly over the past two years and just experimenting to see what's best). My budget would presumably be around $200. I don't really know how the RX 470 compares in the current market because I stopped keeping track when the Bitcoin-GPU inflation was around.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

For $200 you can get an rx580 for example https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yybkcf/xfx-radeon-rx-580-4gb-gts-xxx-edition-video-card-rx-580p4dfd6 or gtx 1060 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9FKcCJ/asus-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-phoenix-fan-video-card-ph-gtx1060-6g but thats not that big of an upgrade really (23%-27% according to https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-470.c2861).

But maybe it is for you so thats something you have to decide.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

FF XV is a very demanding game irrespective of resolution. TBH, given the resolution / refresh of your monitor, the RX 470 is a somewhat decent matchup. You may consider bumping the GPU to the 1060/1070 level but once you start bumping the GPU upwards, it would be recommended to upgrade your monitor to higher refresh rates. My advise: If money permits, upgrade your monitor to 1080p/144Hz (will cost approx $350) and then invest in a newer GPU like the RTX2060 (approx $350). You do not absolutely have to upgrade the monitor, but the frame rates your eye will see will be limited by the monitor in most games out there. Just to reiterate the first point - FF XV is a very demanding game. It is pushing the limits of all hardware it encounters, even the highest end rigs out there.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You raise a lot of interesting points here; although, I don't understand why I would need a higher refresh rate monitor to accompany my next GPU, unless you're offering that as a way to get the most out of having a higher refresh rate.

I'm with the popular opinion that cinematic games such as FFXV don't need high refresh rates or FPS. My main issue is that, even with the diminishing returns of higher frames, I still notice a huge difference in games like Counter-Strike or Overwatch concerning input lag or information that I receive (even on a 60Hz monitor). The difference between 60fps/90fps/120fps/150fps is so clear to me on 60Hz, and I don't know why. Maybe its the nature of video games, as they're just a smoothed collection of frames and animations; or maybe it's just placebo ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Put this way, you have two pipes connected, one pipe is fat, other is skinny. Which pipe would be setting the flow rate? Same analogy for PC hardware. You might have a GPU/CPU that can push 120fps but your monitor only refreshes at 60Hz. Limiting factor here is your monitor. Conclusion, new high performing GPU/CPU are overkill, you could get away with lesser hardware/what you already have and save money. No need to install a V8 in a lawnmower if all you are going to do is mow grass.

Upgrade your monitor and GPU. If you want to enjoy 120+ fps gaming, it is essential to have a monitor that can output that. The GPU (and perhaps even CPU) upgrade might be necessary. For 1080p, an i5/i7 and RTX2060 will hit the sweet spot of cost/performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube