add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a new gpu for my new ultrawide 3440x1440...

TexasNiteowl
  • 12 months ago

So I took advantage of Dell's President's Day sale to buy the AW3418DW...now I need a new gpu. I am planning a full system build very soon too to finally replace my sandy bridge 2500k. (Probably Ryzen)

I know most people leap to 1080ti, but that is basically only available used now and feels overpriced to me. No way am I splurging on a 2080ti. Even the 2080 price is making me choke a little.

That leaves the 2060 and 2070.

Most of my usage would be productivity rather than gaming. Though the occasional game of Fortnite is possible. Most of my other gaming tends to be on my ps4. That said, if I switch to pc gaming, most of the games I play other than fortnite are single player open world. Tomb Raider (though I haven't played the newest one yet), Assassin's Creed (the last one I played was Syndicate). Some PS exclusives of course too, so I'll be keeping the PS4.

I feel like the 2060 should be fine for me, especially if I continue my other gaming on the PS4.

Am I right?

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh yeah, cannot beat the PS4 exclusives, GOW, Bloodbourne, and HZD are possibly the greatest games this generation along with perhaps BOW on Switch. Spiderman was killer also. Too many PC folks forget how good some of the console exclusives are. As for topic at hand, an RTX 2080 Ti is ideal, 2080/1080Ti good as well. However, if you are happy with 30fps-60fps, you might get away with a 2070 and not sacrifice much in terms of settings. A 2060 would be pushing it but still doable - certainly you will get playable frame rates.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I could pretty easily convince myself to go with the 2070. It's jumping up to the 2080 price that starts to hurt a bit more. (And used 1080ti prices hurt too.) I'm currently trying to watch some reviews, etc. My old gpu (r9 380) is handling internet browsing to the new monitor but of course has no displayport so refresh is only running at 50hz over hdmi. So, new pc build has jumped way up in priority!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, $700-$800 for a GPU is a lot. No idea how much a 1080Ti is but maybe scope out eBay for one. You get RTX 2080 performance less the Ray Tracing (which, tbh, you do not need). If it is cheaper than a RTX2080, might be worth a look. Otherwise, yeah, 2070 is an awesome GPU and worth investing in.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

looks like used 1080ti's are going for $550-600 at the moment. That makes for tough decision.

1. new 2070 $450-550
  2. used 1080ti $550-600
  3. new 2080 $675-800
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Just go with the 2070 in that case. While buying Used from a reputable seller is generally not an issue, it is a gamble.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

lol. and here i was just starting to convince myself to splurge on the 2080. rationale being...do it now while I'm doing the build and not have to upgrade for a long time. and new, so warranty (especially if i buy evga). still debating a little bit...the 2080 probably is overkill for me but I'm the type that doesn't want to upgrade constantly. (as evidence by still running my i5-2500k)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Got my 1080ti for $500, so you gotta just look around.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I paid a bit more than that, but less than $600 for the card I mentioned below. EVGA FTW3.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I've ended up purchasing a used 1080ti. Cross your fingers for me!

It was used in a machine learning lab. So yes it was a 24/7 environment, but it was a server room kept at an air conditioned 63 degrees. The seller had 4 of them and had already sold 3 and those 3 buyers all posted that their cards were working great. Is EVGA and based on model number should have warranty remaining.

So, I bought it.

And I ordered a new PSU.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet that will tide you over for a while. It is a great gaming card and still one of best out there.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah, cannot beat the PS4 exclusives

You have forgotten the whole Uncharted Collection + The Lost Legacy, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn!, Nioh, Shadow Of The Colossus. :-P

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I had Horizon Zero Dawn in there - abbreviated to HZD ;) HZD is probably my most favorite game of all time, I loved it!

Last of Us? PS3 release or 4? Not played that one in years. Good game, yes.

Shadow of Colossus? A classic, is the remake on PS4 worth it?

Nioh? Awesome title, brutal like Dark Souls. Never played it on PS4 but did play it on PC/Steam.

Uncharted: Forgot about this, bought number 4 still not played it. Guess I will get around to it. Number 2 and 3 were great on the PS3.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Shadow of Colossus? A classic, is the remake on PS4 worth it?

Yeah, game play and story wise Shadow of the Colossus is the same great as it was in 2005. It's an outstanding remaster with improved controls, performance, and graphical galore.

It's one of the best Playstation games ever made. lol

Last of Us? PS3 release or 4? Not played that one in years. Good game, yes.

The PS4 release of course. :-P

Uncharted: Forgot about this, bought number 4 still not played it. Guess I will get around to it. Number 2 and 3 were great on the PS3.

On PS4 is does look as good as it gets.

Upgraded graphics, smoother gunplay, new photo mode...a blast to play.

So an excellent remaster and definitely worth to play it a second time!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

lol. I bought the remaster of the Uncharted collection too. 2 is still my favorite. Bought the remaster of TLOU too.

I have HZD but haven't played it yet (sorry!).

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i purchased HZD Complete Edition too, but haven't played either.

Because i have other games to finish! :-P

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn I miss bloodbourne, but no PS4 anymore. I hope a sequel releases on PC at some point :(

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

For that resolution, i would opt for the RTX 2070. :)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with a 1660ti then. Fortnite is not a hard game to run lol. No need to spend over $300 on a gpu.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I looked at the 1660 reviews. Decided it was not enough card run 3440x1440 at 100hz. If I was running 1080, yeah, sure. Plus, I want something to last at least 3 yrs and I plan to switch some of my ps4 gaming to pc. I'm behind on the AC series for example and I'd rather play odyssey on my pc.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube