add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5-7600k or Ryzen5 2600

xPete
  • 12 months ago

Both has the same price which one should I get?

I got this build

Games I play are Witcher 3, Assassins creed, Dota2, Anthem, Borderlands, Bioshock.

Would those cpu bottleneck my rtx2080?

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Well the 7500k has 4 cores 4 threads but can OC to 4.8 to 5.0 GHz usually but the 2600 will OC to 4.0 to 4.2 GHz and has 6 cores 12 threads. Now all the games you listed will play well on either CPU but in some cases games that can't use more than 4 cores will benefit more from the higher frequency on the i5. Anything that can use more than 4 cores will benefit more from the Ryzen 5 cpu. Now since all of those games will run on both I would opt more for the 6 core Ryzen now especially since you won't be aiming for 144-200 FPS in games with having a 4k display.

The 6 cores will scale better in the long run than the 4 cores and also considering future upgrades as well. The 7500k is a 7th gen Intel (kabylake) and the best CPU you can put in that is the 7700k (4c8t), for the Ryzen platform chances are the next line of Ryzens will still work on a b450 chipset and have better upgrade options later down the road. Though I can't say how well said line of CPUs will perform as of yet since they have not been released and properly reviewed yet.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Great! That helped me so much :)

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Also consider pricing and upgradability.

The 7600k is not cost effective and the motherboards for it are going to get harder and harder to find in new or good condition.

The 2600 has many, many years of life on it before its considered obsolete. Plus, the motherboards for them are cheap. You could also eventually get a 3000 series Ryzen CPU and use it On that current motherboard.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

I would also like to add that since 4k seems to be your target, there is a great chance that most of the above named titles will perform closely regardless of the CPU you chose since the GPU will be doing the leg work.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

i5-7600k or Ryzen5 2600

Definitely the Ryzen 2600, or at least an Intel processor that relies on a newer chip-set board.

You really don't want an older gen. processor (and that applies to the board as well) for a first time build.

Would that CPU bottleneck my RTX2080?

Seeing your build with a 4K Monitor, even the fastest GPU will not bottleneck a recent 6C/12T processor.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

While the Kabylake i5-7600K is a fast and great gaming cpu, Intel have mostly discontinued what is now a two gen old chipset. Those that are available new are more expensive than they were back in the day. In theory the i5-7600K has a slight edge in gaming over the Ryzen5 2600. The Kabylake i5 here is easily overclocked and has crazy fast single core / thread performance. For applications outside gaming, it is quite weak and easily beat in workloads by the Ryzen. As for choice, Ryzen all the way, it is a current platform, supported, and you have a variety of motherboards to choose from. The i5-7600K is a relic from the past now, a great gaming CPU still but on a limited and non supported platform. Motherboards that are available new are limited in choice and crazy expensive. The Ryzen is a no brainer choice. Performance wise, the Ryzen 5 2600X comfortably beats the i5-7600K as well and price wise it is probably cheaper than a new i5. No brainer choice here my friend.

Bottlenecks? Not something that should be an area of concern, both CPU's have plenty under the lid to keep up. If you play 1440p and above, they will perform similarly. Bottlenecks are a misunderstood term and no modern CPU with 4 or more cores will act as a major bottleneck for your system in regards to gaming.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

From a gaming standpoint, there's no need to be able to generate more than 60 fps because that's the most your monitor will display. I'm pretty sure either CPU is capable of at least 60fps in all the games you list, so I'd choose on other grounds. Since the 2600 is newer, I'd go with it.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys! I love you all so much

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube