add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I use old storage components for my build?

obbu

12 months ago

I have an 500gb 840evo (I know pcpartpicker says 250gb, couldn't found a way to change it) and a 2TB WD20EARS lying around. I was wondering if I should go ahead and build a pc with these old storage compartments or buy new ones. I'm also seeking overall advice with my build since this is my first time.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s8KTfH

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you use the 840 as your main drive - your system will be great.

Regarding the parts list you made it looks great. You could go micro atx if you want but that's more preference.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a good idea as long as they arent extremely old. If they are very old you may have a lot of bad sectors.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

You need to look for a year on there. 2010 and older need to be recycled. If there is a date code starting with a zero, bring it to the micro center or to your local computer store. If the date code starts with a one and the next character is a zero, recycle it too. Your list is way new and doesn't need to have to use the new stuff. I would keep any ssd drive to store the ROM on. With old motherboards SSD windows computers work faster because it is not defragged. If you get an SSD you will need an HDD to store program files and data. This only works with making windows 7 better. 10 has speed improvements in the software so please only use your SSD as master.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitley use the evo as a main drive for installing OS and games, Your HDD is still decent to store media

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube