add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4930k vs Ryzen 7 (1700x, 2700, 2700x)

democrachi
  • 13 months ago

Hello everyone. I've been posting around a bit about these CPUs and I'm still trying to decide what to do.

At present, I have a i7 4930k overclocked at 4.0Ghz with 24GB DDR3 1600 RAM. I've been thinking about upgrading my computer for a while, and having recently gotten myself a stronger GPU, I figure it's only fitting I replace the CPU next.

I'm planning on taking a trip to microcenter to potentially grab one of the following AMD CPUs, provided they will actually prove to be a significant upgrade from the 4930k that I have now. I intend to primary be gaming and streaming, along with some light video editing. The CPU will be paired with the Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming Motherboard, and the Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000 RAM

Ryzen 7 1700X - $150.00

Ryzen 7 2700 - $220.00

Ryzen 7 2700X - $280.00

I'm aiming for a viable upgrade that's worth the cost. If anyone has any recommendations, or can decidedly tell me that it's simply not worth the time and money, please let me know. Alternatively if anyone can clarify the key differences between each of the AMD CPUs, that would also be extremely helpful.

Thanks all!

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

What mark5916 said. As to the differences:

1700X = first generation Ryzen, no stock cooler, decent clocks, traditional boost.

2700 = second gen Ryzen (a few % faster), Spire stock cooler.

2700X = second gen Ryzen, better cooler (Prism), higher base and boost clocks, more sophisticated boost algorithms.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

...more sophisticated boost algorithms.

More sophisticated than the 2700, or were you comparing it to the 1700X? I thought the 2nd gen Ryzens used the same XFR 2 and PB 2, but if not, that would be handy to know.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm i don't know how much of a difference that would make, considering you don't need a hyper threaded 8 core processor if you main goal is gaming.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/1976vs3915

Doesn't your computer perform decently with the GTX 1070Ti, even with that older i7-4930K processor?

If you insist though, then yes for getting something new, the 1700X for $150 is a bargain. :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor $150.00
CPU Cooler Zalman - CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $128.90 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $119.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $418.89
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $398.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-14 15:48 EST-0500
  • Note: And you need a AM4 compatible bracket that you can request by filling that form.
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

While Ryzen 7 2700X is a nice step up on the i7 4930k, I still do not think it is considerable enough. Spec wise, your PC is still good and will remain good for a while yet. I personally would hold out for Ryzen 3700X or next gen Intel before upgrading.

Regarding Ryzen, the X means unlocked - i.e. you can overclock the chip. The 2700X is the next iteration of the 1700X, same number of cores and threads but slightly faster in single threaded and multi threaded applications. Much like the difference in performance between, say an i7-4790K and an i7-7700K. Not huge, but nice.

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 0 points

Learn something new everyday, thank you for the information. Looking at the information online, it looks like the X series is the same thing as non-X. Sounds like an AMD scam going on, charging more for the same thing.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like an AMD scam going on...

I don't think it's a scam, but the X/non-X split is actually good for some of us. I'm looking at the 2700 for a mini ITX build, and I like to keep temperatures and power usage low. My thinking is that I can tweak the 2700 up a bit and still keep the heatage and wattage below a 2700X.

If I was building in a larger case, I'd just go with a 2700X.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to add to things already said, AMD cpus and motherboards do not have a RAM multiplier for 3000 speed for RAM. it will run at 2933 maximum and not at 3000. You can get 3200 RAM for its full speed but 3000 will be slightly downgraded.

Do note that AMD CPUs are by definition slower than their Intel counterparts but their increase core counts makes them more viable at multitasking causing a much lower loss of performance while streaming and often better stream quality on the receiving end of the stream.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube