add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Laptop under $1500

SJSmart
  • 14 months ago

I'll be attending graduate school soon, and I wanted to upgrade from my old Toshiba Satellite. I've never had a "gaming" laptop before, but I've built my share of PCs, so I know what I want.

• CPU: Intel 8th gen. Core i7

• GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

• RAM: 16GB (I believe I can swap out the stock ram for my own correct? If so, then I guess only 8GB would be fine.)

• Storage: At least 250GB SSD (can be sata or m.2)

• Screen Size: I'd prefer a screen of 15.6", as I don't want anything too big. I'll be using it for school work as well as gaming.

• Keyboard: This is important to me, as I find laptop keyboards to be very difficult to type on. I prefer keyboards that have a more traditional key style instead of the chiclet/island style that's on more current laptops. For the best example of what I'm talking about, Alienware actually has the keyboard style I prefer.

I've done research, and I've found these laptops for under $1200:

MSI GL63 15.6" Full HD Gaming Notebook Computer

OMEN by HP 15.6 Inch Gaming Laptop - I like this one, but I'm unsure of the keyboard. It looks like it'll be chiclet.

Any advice on these or other recommendations is appreciated.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Both Laptop's you cite are good well known brands. I have not owned either but did play around with an HP Omen and it was quite good - my main complaint was the screen was a little wobbly on the hinge. Keyboard was fine, to be expected.

Me personally, browse through Xotic PC or one of these sites and see if you find contemporary models featuring an RTX 2060 for your budget. You may as well go with newest tech.

Swapping out RAM? Yes you can do that but for the few dollars you save you will end up reinvesting more (upgrading from 8 to 16 will incur two 8GB sticks at > $100). Just get 16GB model and be done with it.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the website recommendation!

I was just browsing through there and I have to say the Sager line caught my interest. I like the clean aesthetic their laptops have. Although I have some reservations about them looking at the specs:

• The battery for the Sager NP8961 is only 62WH, whereas the Alienware I linked in the original post had a base 68WH and could be upgraded to 99WH.

• The fact that I have to pay $80 for just Windows 10 Home to be preinstalled is just insane. Almost all laptops in that price range already that at least Home preinstalled for no additional price.

Overall, I kind of like the Alienware laptop better, but I'll just keep looking.

For the MSI and Omen laptops I cited, I just managed to find that MSI laptop at a decent price with the specs I'd prefer, so I'm not entirely sure I'll pick that one. The HP Omen, though, is one I'd like to actually try hands on, but I can't seem to find one in stock at any store near me. I guess I'll have to rely on second-hand accounts.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I have owned two Alienware Laptops. While very nice looking, some caveats: - both models I owned, stock supply not enough, battery drains while gaming even plugged in wall. - bios absolutely stinks, horrible, useless.... will not matter if you do not tweak with gear.... - Alienware comes with a lot of bloatware, horrible Tobii Eye Tracking, I ended up uninstalling 99% of the drivers and software that comes with one. - keyboard not very robust. Just had to replace keyboard on mine after one year of use. Same happened with the older model I had. - Alienware is heavy, very heavy, and runs extremely hot. Numerous crashes, over both models I have owned, when CPU gets goosed passed 90c. GPU is prone to switch off due to heat as well. Games crash more often than they do on a PC.

TBH, Alienware is a pretty cheap low quality laptop. Customer Service is excellent. Caveat => I have used this customer service a lot over the life of both my laptops.

MSI? Go this route. MSI good. HP Omen, if no try, no buy. It is a big investment, you have got to be happy with what you buy.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I've heard about Alienware's propensity to overheat as well, I was just hoping that I would get better thermals by choosing mid-to-low range components. I'm not surprised hearing about the crappy BIOS. I was wondering what manufacturer Alienware used, and since I could not find it that raised some flags for me.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure I'll pick the HP Omen just on second-hand accounts. As you said, that's a big investment.

I'll research more into the MSI laptop, as the stores around me have a lot of those on display.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah Bestbuy for instance will usually have a few MSI models and at least one good "higher end" MSI. They are nice laptops. Same goes with Asus ROG. Do not ignore Razer either. If you are willing to live with 500GB of storage, they are good Laptops although will blow your budget apart (hint, last season model could get one down to around $1500).

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I got a msi gaming laptop an I’m only getting 60fps out of it I was thinking I would be getting more can some one help me on trying to get more FPS thanks if this is not the place to get help please direct me in the right direction thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube