• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Mekanisk 2 months ago

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty angry right now. I went into this build expecting everything to work, but I find out much later why my SLI isn't working: the motherboard this site EXPLICITLY states has SLI support, actually doesn't. This website pretty much ****** me over.

Comments Sorted by:

thunder-93 2 points 2 months ago

Sorry dude.

I posted this post for you for PCPP to correct their site to match the manufacturer site: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/306239-pcpp-correction-msi-x470-gaming-plus-atx-am4-does-not-support-sli

I don't know what PCPP's policies are, but you can contact them here: https://pcpartpicker.com/contact/

Not sure what they are going to say, but my hunch would be something along the lines of them recommending to check manufacturer site/specs before buying.

I think the MSI X470 mobos that support SLI are the X470 GAMING M7 AC, the X470 GAMING PRO CARBON, and the X470 GAMING PRO CARBON AC. The MSI X470 Gaming Plus and X470 Gaming Pro do not support SLI; they only support Crossfire.

Root_User 1 point 2 months ago

Not sure what they are going to say, but my hunch would be something along the lines of them recommending to check manufacturer site/specs before buying.

Yup. It's unfortunate that this happened, but final responsibility does lie with the purchaser/builder.

mark5916 1 point 2 months ago

That board could work in SLI mode as according to the manual and the specs of the board these PCIe 3.0 slots (PCIE_1 and PCIE_4) can work at 8x/8x mode.

However, there is something happen that's totally stupid with that board in my opinion.

For SLI to be supported that board model needs to be licensed by Nvidia, and that's not for free.

So with the slots running at x8/x8, SLI should be possible on any X470 board, but that's not the case with this one.

Because to cut down costs (and make the board cheaper) Gaming Plus does not have an SLI license.

It can therefore only be used for an 2 way or even 3 way CrossFire setup. O.o

So, even if the manual states that this board is capable for an 8x/8x mode, unfortunately without being licensed to Nvidia, a 2-way SLI isn't possible.

Graph in question:

https://imgur.com/a/61QosBm

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Hey look nvidia screwing over more consumers, so surprising!

Yeah well, considering that Crossfire doesn't cost money for being able to work on a board that supports multi GPUs, i could say your opinion is justified to some extent, however Nvidia license may cost money but that applies to any motherboard manufacturer out there.

The thing is, that MSI decided not to pay for that, for reducing the cost of the board.

So, that can be interpreted in many ways. :-P

But I mean nvidia is forcing a licensing fee to support gsync/SLI, and attempting to come up with ways to justify it, when AMD is here proving clearly that it's a scam, and can be done for free.

Yes, but that applies to any branded board.

So yes, that's a shame from Nvidia, but otherwise all boards would only support Crossfire.

I mean that's how you see it from a user perspective.

At the end, if a board manufacturer doesn't care about that, i don't see a problem with that. :)

Don't be sentimental on such things, because for better or worse the market works that way, and unfortunately you can't do anything about that.

Of course you could just say: I will not buy a Nvidia product again only because of that.

But believe me, that will not make Nvidia look any worse.

Intel does have a strange cost and upgrade policy on the market for ages now.

But people continues to buy Intel products nevertheless. lol

I have major problems with intel and minor ones with nvidia. I own a GTX 1080, and am happy with it. But nvidia has a tendency to overprice and charge a premium for its products, which is what I don’t like. Meanwhile AMD is supporting free and open standards.

[comment deleted]