add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
MLG_OJ
  • 18 months ago

Hello, I'm building my second PC and have been struggling with some parts. Originally I made an Intel build but I changed to ryzen 2700x. I plan on obviously playing games and maybe doing some light design stuff etc.

My Build

CPU: I was originally planning on getting an 8600k but swapped to 2700x for multiple reasons. The 8700k is about 130$ more than ryzen 7 and the performance is strikingly similar. I mean, i'm not going to skimp on other parts and get a 600$ cpu, it'll just cause problems later on and isnt worth it. The 8600k is 80$ less than ryzen 7 however, but i'm saving 140$ overall with the current build as the MB is 100$ cheaper and i can get it all from one shop thus cutting 30$ shipping.

Motherboard: I was originally going to get a z370-a for overclocking but now I have no idea about AMD boards. Some recommendations, comparisons, benchmarks for motherboards would be appreciated as there's a lot less information about ryzen boards. Have the B350-F on the list as it's the highest rated and is 110$ less in Australia than z370-a.

Ram: Ram is important for ryzen and directly affects its performance, looking at message boards and comparisons it appears that cl 14 trident z is the best choice. Input on this is also appreciated.

Everything else is still the same and it's okay for what it is.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with the cpu, get this, or this motherboard, and just go with the ram you selected and oc it a bit for good measure.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

ty ty

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you using for your design work? Unless the 8-core chip will benefit your workflow, I'm warming more towards the i5's gaming performance. Most design applications will also favour intels faster single cores unless your software packages are multi-core/HT optimised in favour of Ryzen.

If sticking with the X-series Ryzen take an X470 motherboard. If overclocking is not of interest, a decent mid-tier B450 will run well too. These newer Zen+ chipsets come with additional perks and some added performance in support of the 2000-series AMD chips, hence I would avoid the B350. Plus you'll need to upgrade BIOS before you can use the newer Ryzen chips on the older sibling.

If it's just light workloads don't bother paying the added premium for 14CL sticks. These will make very little noticeable difference unless your workflow is Mem-intensive. 3000Mhz 15CL or 3200Mhz 16CL QVL approved sticks will run perfectly with gaming and on the most part are already a slight overkill considering the newer Zen+ Archi has ironed out RAM latency issues (QVL-appr)

Whats your displays resolution and refresh rate? If 1080p, for gaming performance the i5 is the best option - hands down!! If 1440p/4k - Ryzens workable considering value and matching performance.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

damn that's some good info thanks.

1. some cad stuff with my dad because that's his job and he wants me to help with his business a bit, not entirely sure but the chip isn't really a big deal. Just curious about what would be the best option and since I have a firm understanding of intel chipsets and relevant boards, it helps to know more about AMD options.

2. if i stay ryzen ill swap the board 100%, i want to overclock but even if i get intel i wont do an insane overclock like 5ghz +. I'll most likely stay at 4.5-5 ghz after testing stability and temperature.

3. thanks for the ram info, ill probably go cheaper on the ram. I just watched a jayz video on ryzen benchmarks and the ram performance had a fairly substancial affect compared to how it barely effects intel cpus.

4. Currently using 1080p widescreen monitor, 2560x1080 21:9 ratio LG monitor. Works well and will probably keep it for a while longer until higher fps gaming and VR becomes more common.

thanks a ton man, you answered a lot of my questions. Really appreciate it :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube