add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does anyone use the profanity filter and why or why not?

DarTroX
  • 20 months ago

Just wondering. I personally don't use it.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 4 points

When I first started I had it on. But I found it difficult to understand the comments of a specific user from the old days of OT. So, I turned it off.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

Mine is on but I have kids who are starting to read and random words can leave me with a little explaining to do with their teachers.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

I understand that. I think my son just picked up the "S" word from his grandma. Thanks, Mom...

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

I feel bad for my kids if I ever have them. I picked up a bad habit of cussing a little too much.

(Like the time I used the F bomb in church after I fell and broke my foot and Euphonium.)

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

I once heard that there is an actual pain relief associated with using very seldom used (to the individual) profanity. Not sure why. Not even sure if what I heard was accurate at all, lol. But, I suppose you could have used the excuse that it was beneficial. Might start an interesting conversation, albeit possibly based on a false premise.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

Hey, if it makes my situation sound better ill take it.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, you swore when that happened? I would be grounded forever if I

• A: broke my saxophone with sheer stupidity

• B: cussed (in or out of church; it's pretty much outlawed in our house)

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't say I broke it over pure stupidity at least.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

That's good. I'm sure that if I dropped my sax, it would've been because I was being stupid. I'm pretty careful with that thing to say the least.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you ask her about it?

"I just swear I didn't teach them."

Or "I just swear; I didn't teach them."

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, probably would be the latter.

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

I don’t use the filter.

I won’t use profanity, but I have no issue with reading and hearing it.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't mind any French. Mine is off.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope, i want to read what people write in the context that they write it in. I have even used profanity on this site 2 or 3 times.... NOt to bad since i have 3440 comments here. So i use profanity only a fraction of a percent.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I think the default is on, or at least that must have been the case back when I first created my account.

I don't bother changing it. Profanity alone usually only annoys me when it starts to obscure the intended meaning of the actual content or otherwise make it excessively cumbersome.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Filter's on don't know why, probably will turn it off even though major of users barely swear from what I've seen.

I don't mind if profanity is used tbh.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I had to check to see if I had it enabled or not. I do and I don't know why.

There is so little profanity in most of the posts I read that I don't think I've ever been affected by it.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

It's enabled by default.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

That'd do it.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

This site uses a profanity filter?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

yes

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I try to keep profanity minimal, but will curse here and there.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't use it, but that's just because I don't mind seeing profanity.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Mine is on, but I try hard not to use profanity. I'm saddened when I hear some of the language used nowadays. But I'm from a different generation, at least that's my excuse.

Edit: Festus on Gunsmoke took swearing to a whole new level.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I have it on. In general conversation I don't like to hear it or use it. I tend to reserve its use for when I'm really pissed off. When I'm driving I tend to use a lot of profanity, but when I'm alone - not that I'm pissed off all the time driving - it just happens.

I'm also more impressed by a person that can fully explain their thoughts/ideas or whatever when they don't use profanity. If someone cuts their finger or smashes a toe, yeah, it will fly. But if someone is simply describing something, like food and then say "oh this is so f***in good!" - totally turn off for me.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

you can the filter off?!?!?!?!?! why wasn't told about this?! ive been using since day one cause i thought you couldnt take it off! please tell me how

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

edit: i found it, much easier to read comments now lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 19 months ago
  • 3 points

Comments like this are not appropriate for this site.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube