add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which part of my PC to upgrade for better performance?

Mistatilly
  • 18 months ago

I want to upgrade my pc to make it run games better than it already is, which part should I upgrade? I was thinking more ram with a higher MHz should work, but 16gb is already more than enough isn't it..

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 (3.60 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz 1 TB HDD 250 GB SSD

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Which games are you struggling to run at what resolution? The best upgrade you can really get is to a 7700K with an aftermarket cooling for overclocking (and potentially, a de-lidding kit). Beyond that, there's not much else and jumping to the next platform won't particularly help seeing as single core performance hasn't really changed beyond 7th gen CPU's. GPU wise, your next upgrade is the 1080 Ti (or 2080 Ti but that's very overpriced). None of those are worthy upgrades.

RAM speeds don't affect CPU performance at 7th gen so what you have is absolutely fine.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I would agree with upgrading the CPU so as to overclock the 7700k.

To the OP - you may find however that a MOBO upgrade and/or a better thermal solution is required as you didn't list the entire specs for your current build.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not struggling to run any games at all. I just got some money left over and want to see what part of my pc i can throw it on.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Then really, it’s just a case of upgrading the CPU to a 7700K (or 8th gen if you want to change the motherboard). If you have a fair bit of money, you could swap the hard drive for a large 1 TB SSD so you don’t have to deal with the slower spinning drive.

There’s not much else you can do. You’ve already got a to end PC

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Upgrading my I7 7700 to a 7700k be worth the value though?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Not really in my honest opinion. I'd say that the only thing worth upgrading is changing your system to purely SSD to eliminate any loading bottlenecks.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

The rest of the systems core components really don't need an upgrade unless you want to run more than one 1080 or possibly upgrade to a 1080ti. Other than that you could look at different aesthetic components like cases and the like.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Best thing you can do with that setup IMO is to toss the hard drive and put in a 1 or 2 TB SSD. I don't see anything else that would make it substantially faster. I suppose if you wanted to get a 4K monitor you could push the GPU to a 1080 Ti, but without the monitor upgrade I don't know that there would be any point in upgrading just the GPU.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points

So none of these comments mean anything to me. any real suggestions?

• 18 months ago
  • -2 points

I mean if money isn't an issue, 2080 ti sli is an option.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 18 months ago
  • -1 points

A Ryzen 3 1200 is a sidegrade/downgrade from the 7700 and the 1070 is a straight up downgrade from the 1080. You sure you got the right topic here?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube