add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Just looking for a pair of boots...

thedukeanator13

18 months ago

Yeah, that's about it. My current work boots are great, but getting a fair bit worn, and before I just reorder the same pair, does anyone got any recommendations?

Bear in mind it snows a good bit here in the winter and it rains a good bit during hurricane season (Jersey)

Needs:

• Reinforced toe (F2413-11 or better)
  • Water/fliud resistance (as long as they aren't paper I should be fine with caution and water proofing spray)
  • Black

Nice to haves:

• EH rating
  • Above the ankles
  • Slip resistance of some kind

Make my life easier:

• Zip open sides (just to slip them on and off as needed)

My current pair I picked as they fit most of my desires (as listed above). (They are black, have a composite toe, are EH rated {I don't want to test that though}, get great traction on fluid, and go above my ankles (they are like 8in or so) -- but, I don't believe they are water/fluid resistant, they might be, honestly I don't remember, I have been coating them in silicone water proofing spray, but I try my best not to go trudging through lakes so it's functionality stands to be tested).

A preemptive thanks to any responses and another thanks to the off topic section, yeah if this isn't a stellar example of off topic idk what is.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello,

I don't wear boots myself but the working men in my family recommend these two brands.

Use the filter on the left side of the page to narrow your search.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe-finder

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/mens-boots/?sma=sm.001j18a6z12n8dirt0h1oa36przwm

They also said, it's better to have two pair, one for winter and one for summer.

Time to breakout the good old credit cards, and treat yourself to some renewed comfort. xD

Hope this helps

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Redwings are my go to boot, I've used the same model for years however mine aren't black. A lot of my old co-workers also swore by Doc Martins.

Zip open sides (just to slip them on and off as needed)

Have you ever had a pair with zippers on the side? I did for about 2 months before one of the zippers snapped...thats when I discovered Red Wings.

If I had my boots on me I'd tell you the model but they are the comfiest boots I've ever worn...after about a 2 week break in. I prefer them to most of my everyday shoes in comfort lol.

These are about what I have I'm pretty sure, but the black model (I just get the standard brown leather). They are a 6" boot that covers your ankle directly but not above. EH rated, steel toe, slip resistance, oil resistant, waterproof, and they meet the current ASTM saftey toe standard.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with them, Redwings, 'nuff said. Yes they're a bit spendy, but voice of experience, if your feet hurt you're going to have a bad day. Whites, (Spokane WA),are excellent, but they are expensive. They will rebuild your boots, as they build custom fits, but fair warning, they are not cheap.

Edit: I don't know if they still make them, but I had decent performance from a pair of Sketchers that I bought at Walmart years ago. (10) They were ~$40.00, and lasted 2-3 years. Grease and oil and such finally did them in but in such a hostile environment I have no complaints. Never owned wolverine.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go for a pair of carbon fiber reinforced toe Bates. They are what I used when I worked at the prison, and they are very nice boots. Water resistant. Zip sides. Hard toes. Above ankles. Slip resistant. Very lightweight. And, thanks to the toe, they would hurt like hell if you ever had to kick someone with them.

But, these are generally more tactical oriented boots (although they do have more work oriented variants). They are somewhat on the pricey side, but you should never cheap out on a boot, or shoe.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/home

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it's a pair of Bates I have now that I really like. My only complaint is that I don't believe them to be waterproof (resistant). And it gets irritating try to work while tip toeing around water or snow like it's lava just so I don't have to test their waterproofness. I have walked through puddles and snow before in them, but the fabric sides look like they will soak up water like a sponge, so I try to avoid any water that height. I had used this cheap water resistant spray (like Kiwi or something) a couple months back, but I don't really know if it works or how well.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

but the fabric sides look like they will soak up water like a sponge

Mine has the same fabric on the side. They are layered in Gore-Tex which is very water resistant. I walked around the prison while working on the yard in rain and snow (usually for about 8 hours, sometimes 16) and never had an issue with wet feet.

I had used this cheap water resistant spray (like Kiwi or something) a couple months back, but I don't really know if it works or how well.

Actually, yeah, hydrophobic spray generally works very well at keep water out. I use similar stuff on my tents and haven't had an issue with it.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Danner is the only company i will buy boots from. They are a bit expensive but they will last you a long long time. I work in a pretty rough environment for foot wear. My current pair are ceramic reinforced, waterproof, and above the ankle. I never paid attention to slip resistance when i bought them, but I have yet to slip in them. I've had this pair for about three years and have only recently started showing wear and tear (stripped the outer layer off one of the laces, and noticeable wear on one toe where a pallet jack failed and a loaded pallet dropped on my food (no injury, and the ceramic bit was undamaged). They are still just as comfortable as the first day, and living in the Pacific NW, have yet to have a soaked foot. My previous pair lasted 5 years. i use these as my primary foot wear. I use them for hiking, work, and every day foot wear.

I can't speak highly enough for this brand. Not sure they will fit all your requirements, but damn are they good boots. I won't ever use another brand.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I had looked at a pair of Danner's a couple days ago and I was very tempted to purchase them. (Actually it was like the same day I posted this topic, so I guess it was last night {this morning} lol). What I like about the pair I looked at was that they met all of my "needs", we're above ankle, EH rating (and puncture resistant rating which is another plus), oil/slip resistance, and zip off sides. Plus they weren't too° expensive. (They are also listed as body fluid borne pathogen resistant, but I'm not exactly sure what standardizes them as such, being as any watertight shoe should be relatively fluid resistant {if anyone else has some more incite on that one please let me know}).

Honestly, right now I'm stuck between them and another pair of my Bates. I looked at the red wings, and they look great, but ones with similar features to the Danner's I looked at or my Bates are much more expensive. I'll get reimbursed $100 for whatever I spend on boots, but some of the similar featured Red Wings are looking at almost $350. While I definitely don't want to cheap out on my boots, if I go with the Bates or the Danner's I'll only end up spending (at most) $100 of my own money, and by my best guess these boots are gonna need to go pretty soon and I can't realistically spend $250 ($350-100) on new boots at the moment. So it looks like it's between Danner's and Bates (for now).

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

My uncle-in-law loves his bates. But I had already purchased my danners (I get 0 reimbursement... you lucky lucky ******* :) when he recommended them. I was so against spending more than $100 on work boots, but god damn am I glad I did. My second pair were a little more expensive but oh so worth it. I’m planning on getting a set of Bates come rainy season just to have a second pair of boots... just in case. First time since I was a kid I’ll have more than 1 pair of shoes at a time.

Both brands are well worth the money. You can’t go wrong with either imo. Ultimately I went with Danner because their HQ isn’t to far from me and makes going in for minor repairs or fittings so much easier. Plus My company does work for them from time to time. They invest in us, I’m happy to return the favor.

I don’t know much about red wings so I can’t say one way or another.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

The reimbursement is nice, I get $100/year in reimbursement total that I can spend on a pair of black boots and/or a pair of navy blue pants. I haven't exactly needed new boots, so in years past the money would have gone solely towards a pair of pants (about $60 a pair for the ones I've been getting, but I could fit in two depending on which brand I buy (I think Dickies are like $40, but the price difference (imo) shows).

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Check galls, quartermaster, lapolicegear.com, and chief supply... Police boots are about as good as it gets for waterproof and comfort, especially with a side zip, and they have many with different kind of safety toes too.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Find a Red Wing store and get fitted. best boots available

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

The good ol' days, lol.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube