add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Not getting even close to rated speeds

AverageGangMember

21 months ago

I'm currently paying for 100+ speeds right now, and I'm getting 25. A lot of friends have at least 130+ with the same ISP and I'm only getting 25. I've already contacted them and traded in the router/modem combo. It still is slow. So what should I do?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you on wireless or a wired connection directly to the router? If wireless, it will always be slower than wired, how slow depends on how many devices you have connected and the limitations of your device.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

with only my pc connected i get 25 wired

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you getting the slow speeds on any other devices? Since you've already swapped the modem/router, it kind of sounds like there is a problem on the ISPs end, which could be the wiring coming into your home, wiring in the box that connects your neighborhood, etc. Do you have neighbors nearby that have the same service, and if so, do they experience the same slow speeds? This could help narrow down where the problem is.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

well we did have our powerline knocked down during the hurricane. it's slow on all devices. our neighbors don't have internet.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Double check your modem/router is rated for 100 Mb/s, a Google search with the make/model should be easy to determine this. Then contact your ISP again, it could be an issue with the line coming into your home. Another possibility is that someone forgot to put the correct code on your account to give you the fast speed. If you're being billed for it, then it is probably coded correctly, but could be worth double checking with customer support.

ISP customer service generally sucks, but keep being that annoying customer until they fix your issues, keep in contact with them until it is resolved. I had intermittent internet drops, a couple phone calls with me complaining, I had a tech out who knew his ****, replaced the connection to the outside of my house, issue resolved.

You should also be able to get a partial refund/credit for the days when you haven't been getting the speeds promised, just document everything so you have it on record.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

It is rated for 640mbps. Also we've already tried to be annoying ******* and I guess I'll try again.

[comment deleted]
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point

25 MB/s or Mb/s?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

megabit

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

25mb/s seems like an odd number for a hardware limitation... I wonder if the ISP didn't update their provisioning for your service? (basically that they have you in the system as only getting 25 even though the billing system says 100ish)

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

we are paying 100. the only plans are 100 or 400 mbs.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

right. what I mean is that I've had a few times where Charter has me setup for 100Mbps, but the backend of their system is setup to only give me 15-25 because the backend system only had my modem provisioned for that 15-25Mbps instead of the 100 I was supposed to be getting.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point, could be as simple as a missing code the cx service rep forgot to key in.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are on a copper line I have had the problem before where I was put next to a neighbor on the line to the box that sits in a front yard and the interference on the crappy cabling was so bad that it was causing me to get 25 down when I was paying for 150 down. They came out and patched my connection over one slot and it fixed my problem. You can try to have them come out, but they are probably going to make you pay for having a technician come out. I told them that I am not going to pay because they have a problem with their gear that I can't legally fix and they took the charge off. So maybe try that one.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Im sorry im late to this thread, hey if you are having an issue still, please run your computer in safe mode and try to run the speeds again, also try a second device if you havent already to see what speeds you are actually obtaining, if you continue to have issues please let me know, i actually worked for ISPs and these issues are mainly computer related, yes sometimes the issues can come from the ISP/Router or modem but believe me, nothing these guys have stated will truly make or break your situation.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube