add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[HELP] Playing with mouse and keyboard

Scary_Terry
  • 29 months ago

I use a ps4 controller for all pc games I play. I know I'm at a severe disadvantage playing fps shooters, granted I'm very good with a controller, topping the leaderboards most matches. However I'm running into more and more "pro" players, adept at using M/K that can kill me relatively easily. Every time I try to play with M/K I get absolutely destroyed.

How long did it take you guys to get good with it? Did you grow up playing on M/K? What can I do to get better?

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Just keep playing with m/k. That is all you can do to get better, really. You may need to adjust sensitivity settings for your mouse movements to find a setting that works for you. Also getting a mouse that can adjust on the fly is useful for finding a cursor speed that works for you. It's also useful in-game in certain situations, but not necessary.

I grew up using both, and can game capably with both. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. How long did it take you to get used to it? Also, do you have a preference?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I honestly can't say how long it took me. I learned how to play PC games when I was super young. I was just using keyboard to play DOOM. I do remember the first time I played Half-Life, getting used to mouselook was a challenge.

I 100% prefer mouse and keyboard for FPS games specifically, and in general I would still choose that option. Right now I am playing Rocket League and although I could play this with a mouse and keyboard, I think a controller is more comfortable for this type of game.

I've played through games like Batman: Arkham Asylum/City using m/kb and it's totally fine but I can tell that the control scheme would probably be more comfortable using a controller.

Some games are virtually unplayable on m/kb, but it is due to developer negligence. I am looking at you, Dark Souls 2.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

I would definitely switch to a keyboard and mouse OP. It might take a while to get used to, but your performance ceiling will be significantly lower on a controller when playing against M&KB users.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

You have no idea how upset it makes me when I'm killed by someone on pc who I know I could've beaten on console lol.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I grew up playing keyboard and mouse but I'm okay with a controller, at least much better than I used to be. Just dedicate time to learning it and you will get better undoubtedly.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. There is definitely a big learning curve for me.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I grew up using both a controller and mouse + keyboard so both come pretty naturally to me and I really don't remember a time when I was new to either one.

How do you get better? How do you think pro lifters get stronger? How do runners get faster? It is all about practice, practice is the only way you will get better. You may suck for a while but you will be able perform much better in games than with the controller once you get the hang of it.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

If I play RTS's too long without a shooter I find dropping my sensitivity to about half what it normally is and working my way back up helps me regain any shred of precision I had before. I have a rather large mouse pad surface so I usually drop it to 400 dpi with around 10-20% sensitivity in games. Then about once every couple days of playing I raise either one until it feels uncomfortable.

This is just my method it may work for you or not but I can say for certain it helps me get 3-4x the amount of kills on Insurgency.

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info. I use DS4 Windows all the time lol. Some pc games also support Xbox as well as Dualshock natively (Fallout 4, Watchdogs 2, Destiny 2 to name a few). I've been using a controller all my life so it will take some time before I get used to M/K

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

So you know the struggle lol. It's so hard actually using both hands separately. Everything just feels so weird and foreign.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 29 months ago
  • 2 points

I actually disagree, I have played PC games all my life and not too long ago played cod competitively on PS4, it is just dedication that makes you better. K/M is objectively better, you can press more buttons at the same time and the mouse is FAR more precise scientifically. If you look at the people that are topping leaderboards on PC cod compared to console it is insane. The keyboard and mouse has a large advantage. I play overwatch a lot, I'm bronze on PC, probably doomed to ever get out as long as I stay on that account. On xbox I'm gold and the people move so slowly and have such bad aim, it is undoubtedly because of the gap of keyboard and mouse.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

That's because on PC, cheating is involved.

That is not the case anywhere near as much as you think, especially in cod. People are better with a keyboard and mouse, if you were to have played 1000 hours of cod on a controller and someone has played 1000 hours of keyboard in mouse in the kind of situation you're suggesting they would dominate you, they can jump, crouch, aim, shoot, use grenades, abilities, etc. all at the same time, not to mention the mouse being scientifically better than an analog stick. Even with aim assist someone with a controller will be destroyed especially in a game like counter strike, ever tried that with a controller?

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

The only advantage they have is playing the game of choice longer than you. Just use a controller in that game as much as they've used K&M and you'll kill them as easily as they kill you.

This K&M pro advantage is a myth. It's all about how long you have used whatever controls in whatever game.

This is just not true. They are mechanically different and the mechanics of the mouse and keyboard are advantageous. This doesn't mean you can't be damn good with a controller of course, but if all other things are equal and a precision movement is going to determine the outcome of a scenario, the more precise device is going to have an advantage. Thumbsticks require travel time that doesn't exist on m/kb to change from 1 to 0 to -1 on any given axis. Thumbsticks also have a narrow range of motion to control acceleration/deceleration, where the mouse can register a nearly infinite variation of motion.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info, I agree with you guys. M/K are definitely more accurate than a controller.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube