add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I really wanted to build a computer... But too many issues now make me want to return everything.

Sam_Flynn
  • 34 months ago

It started in March of this year. I bought a Raidmax case I had my eye on from Walmart. It came... with a broken window. I went to Raidmax C.S. which was pretty nice about giving me a new one. Sent them a receipt, and got a replacement window in a few days. My next move happens to be the CPU. I thought about it, and choose the 7600K because I would just be doing gaming and general computer tasks, no rendering. Got one from FRY's on sale. Then I replaced my laptop's 850 EVO with a CS1311, and put that in my PC part pile. Looking good right? That's where the issues start to happen. I bought a z270M Mortar off of eBay. Shipped with a few bent CPU pins, but looked usable. I got a Seasonic Power Supply, which didn't work. I didn't test it until I sent off for my rebate, so It cost me to return it without a barcode. :( My Cpu cooler came, and I quickly learned that it would take me an entire hour to get everything mounted right with this. It was hard! I grabbed a 4GB stick of generic RAM and an RGB psu from Thermaltake, and boom, everything worked. Got windows installed, played a couple games, and my wallet was deflated. Got 4 sticks of LED ram, and realized it doesn't work with my Mobo. With RAM installed in channel B, no slots in channel A worked. :( I disassembled everything, and RMAed the Mobo. eBay sent me a new one, free of charge and hassle. Got it and, it still didn't work with the RAM! Switched the sticks around, and it finally did. Every time I shut down the PC, I have to swap at least two sticks of RAM or it will not boot when I turn it on. So I went without gaming for a while without a GPU, used my iMac for my computer needs because of no hassle, and put together a second PC for my bro. He scored a G4560 for $30 after what looked like a craigslist scam. I planned to use the RMAed mobo for him, and use the working one for the time being. So I took the Mobo out to switch CPUs and boom, doesn't work. The CPU works fine in a test system, but not in my mobo. So I'm ticked at MSI right now, they want me to RMA the was-working mobo and pay for shipping a second time! I've tried all the internet solutions for my problem and now have given up. I think I'll just use my iMac for gaming on low settings now, and return/sell/throw out the window the PC parts I gathered. My dreams are crushed of building a PC, and I'll wait for my RMA to arrive before I do anything dractic ;). Thought I'd share my experence on here because my time is not going to be filled with high-framerate gaming. :(

-Sam_Flynn

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't give up! After years of wanting to build a PC for myself I finally decided to pull the trigger. I bought a PSU off of eBay new that had apparently good reviews....well turned out it was a Chinese knock around company that had dissolved years ago...no chance of RMA there I guess. So, system died randomly when playing a comp game in Overwatch. @#$@#%$! After that I bought a PSU from EVGA, a 500W B1 to be exact. Well, they kind of suck due to terrible ripples in the rails which caused my computer to die anytime I was gaming. @#$@#$! @#$@#$! So, I decided I would RMA the new PSU through Amazon and give EVGA another shot. Got the B3 550W and I have had 0 problems since.

On top of this, the RAM that I bought turned out to be mislabeled. I was very confused why I was only reading 4GB until I realize I had 2x2GB XD. Luckily the seller on eBay promptly refunded half of my money so I could buy a 4GB chip.

Sometimes it can be a real hassle, especially if it is keeping you from using the pc at all. In the end, however, it is worth all of the blood, sweat, and tears. Stick in there.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont have a disposable income, or disposable time. I need a PC when i chose to build one, not three months later when the RMAs arrive. Im not satisfied with the PCMR so far, but I hate consoles so thats that.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 3 points

*Seller on eBay. I usually have a good experience with eBay sellers.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Obviously you are wrong.. There are many legit sellers on ebay.. If you see an i7-7700k for 60 bucks you have to think something is not right...

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 3 points

and as a community, we tend to look down on EBay (even if we don't admit or show it)

Not true.. many ppl here use ebay including me. Paypal protection works fine if you don't know it.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree, it's a little much for you to speak for the community here.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Generally speaking, you are at no increased risk with eBay. The community seems to be rejecting your claim for the community XD

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. I realized that. Deleted.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube