add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Future proof cpu A couple of years?

Talcover01

30 months ago

Im so confused at which route i should go.. Do i go ryzen z270 x299 etc i cant choose.. I have a decent amount of cash for this build not any intel x series money but enough for a decent cpu.. May stream or edit videos and pictures in the future but mainly gaming

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 4 points

X99 is old hat really, no need to get it with Ryzen out and to an extent X299.

In terms of gaming, more so at higher refresh rates the 7700k is still king. If this is your primary use case, then its a solid option. If you genuinely think you may also have a more mixed workload that use plenty of thread's then the Ryzen 1700 is a solid option that also does fine in gaming.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

With Threadripper looming closer and Coffee Lake not long after, it may be worth waiting a little bit and looking at those before making a decision. That said, if you plan on streaming or some other multithreaded workload at all, and don't care about high refresh rate gaming (ie, 144Hz), the Ryzen 7 1700 is an excellent CPU for the money.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I was gonna get 2 1440 p 144 hz monitors with g sync and im sorry for my lack of knowledge ive really only looked into computers for about 2 weeks now.. But is there a general date for them ? Which should i choose?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Why are you getting two 144hz monitors? If you're only planning on using one at a time for gaming (and not doing a fancy eyefinity setup) it might be better to save on one of them and just get 60Hz for secondary applications.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I wanted to get a 4k one but i cant find any that match with the dell 1440 p one dell did make a 4k one thats exactly the same but an inch bigger... An inch.. And my ocd would kill me

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... I mean could you get the same sized 1440P just at 60 hz? Or go with a different brand of 4K monitor?

If it's honest-to-god OCD I'm not sure I can help much lol

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything has to be perfect for me to be sain

• 30 months ago
  • 0 points

You could go with a Celeron and be "future proof"....

The idea of a CPU suddenly not being able to work is crazy. It is a situation dependant thing. Web browsing? The Celeron will last half a decade. Gaming? A Pentium can last half a decade depending on the games and what you want out of them.

Just go with a mid to high-mid tier CPU and you should be good until you need to build a new PC.*

*Unless you have to have the bestest best. Then there is no pleasing you.....

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube