add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help a noob?

Talcover01

30 months ago

Im still relatively new to computers and wanted to know if my build needs a sound card? (Go easy on me i dont know anything about this ) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NFMb9W

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

No; your motherboard already has audio built-in.

Once upon a time, a PCI audio card was de rigueur, since AC'97 motherboard audio was so awful, and sound cards offered superior sound quality and some HW acceleration features.

Today, however, most of the signal processing done by sound cards of old is now done on the CPU or GPU, and many motherboard manufacturers have put some actual thought into the audio section of their boards, nearly eliminating hiss, buzz, and other sources of EMI. Unless you're going to be doing high-end multi-track studio work, there is almost no advantage to be gained by adding a sound card.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

That was the best answer ever thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube