add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The XBOX One X - A PC Killer or Still Inferior?

AverageGangMember
  • 34 months ago

Hello guys, as you can tell. I haven't been active on PCPartPicker. So, I decided to make a post about the XBOX One X, a possible 4k 60fps ready console. As you may know, consoles receive extreme optimisations unlike PC, because it would take forever to optimise all kinds of PCs, and is unrealistic.

But still, I really wouldn't think many games one the XBOX X would run at true 4k 60fps, just either upscaled or the checkerboarding technique.

I may sound like a complete PC Elitist, but if it were to run full 4k 60fps, it's a great buy for a $499, and would go great in any setup.

I've made a part list for an XBOX One X Killer, and I think it can equal performance to it, 4k 60fps gameplay.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - FX-8370 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $103.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard $49.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.44 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card $236.98 @ OutletPC
Case Xion - XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case $22.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Antec - 450W ATX Power Supply $34.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $497.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-12 14:00 EDT-0400

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 4 points

The XBOX One X - A PC Killer or Still Inferior?

Still inferior. Its very well likely using the same potato CPU so it will still struggle to get 60FPS in games. Not to mention the GPU is likely slightly behind a GTX 1060/RX 580.

But still, I really wouldn't think many games one the XBOX X would run at true 4k 60fps, just either upscaled or the checkerboarding technique.

If they do run at native 4K 60FPS they either have really low settings or it will be a non demanding game.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $61.88 @ OutletPC
Memory *Kingston - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $54.75 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 470 4GB STRIX Video Card $168.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case DIYPC - J180-BL ATX Mid Tower Case $37.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $38.98 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $499.47
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $479.47
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-12 14:22 EDT-0400
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Slightly behind a 1060 is pretty strong imo..

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Its still strong but not ultra settings 4K 60FPS strong.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

It's supposed to be useful for backwards compatibility with original titles for older systems.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a stretch to find a gaming PC that's a better deal than a console. I didn't say there wasn't one. Just that it would be a stretch.

The Xbox One X benefits from a small form factor, an aesthetically pleasing chassis and the convenience. The average consumer doesn't want to spend time learning how to build a gaming PC that's going to be closely specced to a product they use out of the box. And the tech enthusiast already has a better home PC, so building a second inferior one is redundant.

• 34 months ago
  • 0 points

Even if your proposal out-specs the Xbox One X, there's still a very limited market.

1) It's too inconvenient for consumers. 2) It's too weak for prosumers.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not calling the GPU weak, but most people who are into building PC's will find the other parts inferior.

Xbox One X has the benefit of console exclusives. The only way a $500 PC is a worthy buy is if you do not own a computer that's better than it. Most computer enthusiasts probably do.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a pretty bad list tbh. Not to mention an OS with a key is an aspect people like. Not to mention you didn't include memory.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not defending xbox, but you're missing wifi, a blu ray drive and a keyboard/mouse (since the xbox comes with a controller)... Although it can be argued that you don't need the blu ray player as usually people dont use bluray/dvds on PC anymore, most people download games or watch movies online.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a place for consoles and while this is priced slightly too high there is plenty of value in the consoles. Your list as an example misses off the operating system, WiFi, controller (Get a pad with the Xbox) and for some the 4K HDR Blue-Ray player.

In terms of being able to play 4k games, no it will not be able to play everything smoothly @ 60hz @ ultra, but no GPU can even do that including the $1200 Titan Xp in some titles. The consoles will get some tweaks, settings lowered, targeting lower FPS and not all games will run at 4k, but that is not a bad thing per say and for plenty of people that is enough. There is plenty of value in simply buying a game and having it work without issues.

Then add in the Media entertainment centre capability of 4k Blue-Ray and the fact the console looks half nice in a living room environment and that provides plenty of value in itself.

TLDR it does not need to compete against a PC in raw performance, rather the package as a whole provides a fair bit of value to someone looking to simply jump into games without faffing with settings or those looking for a sleek entertainment centre in the living room.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

While this is the right idea, not a lot of people see it that way. That's just how it is.

On here and most sites dedicated to PC enthusiasts mostly, then sure. In reality consoles sell plenty fine enough and if that was not the case we would not see further investment. Just recently PS4 passed the 40 million mark. I myself even with pretty powerful PC's picked up an Xbox one S to use as a nice home entertainment centre and know plenty of other PC enthusiasts pick up consoles for whatever reason.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Heres the deal, i think the people who actually know enough about full xboxx specs have a computer already, and could definitely use 500 bucks to do a good upgrade on their own system, or buy a crap load of games. So that just makes the inferior arguement even worse for the xboxx because people probably already have a competitor to the xboxx and have no need for the xboxx in the first place. So microsoft has really lost any pc enthusiast if they havemt already Thats my kinda late two cents. Sorry if it didnt make sense too lol i type a lot very quickly.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $50.00
CPU Cooler Phanteks - PH-TC12LS_BK 53.3 CFM CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-B250M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $61.98 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot - Signature Line 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $27.00 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot - Signature Line 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $27.00 @ Amazon
Storage ADATA - Premier SP600NS34 128GB M.2-2242 Solid State Drive $51.78 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.44 @ OutletPC
Case Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $34.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Other GTX 960 4GB $130.00
Total (before mail-in rebates) $566.17
Mail-in rebates -$65.00
Total $501.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-16 18:15 EDT-0400

Xbox One X alternative. Probably better, and it could do 4K (30 FPS, low settings)

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU is likely light years worse than what is on the Xbox one X. This definitely is not better.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Can use a 1050 ti instead...

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

That would perform about the same as the GTX 960 and it still wouldn't bring up to par.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Then scrounge for a 3GB 1060 on sale used then, also dumping the third-party cooler to add $40.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Same, I feel like the Xbox One X could definitely do 1440p, but no one makes 1440p TV's so they have to try to make the leap to 4k.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes but considering they used a AMD GPU last time they are going to use one again and it will likely be polaris based which is why people are using tflops to roughly compare them, at least that is what I hope they are doing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube