add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Actual surround sound headphones?

codezer0

33 months ago

I find myself revisiting this topic at least once a year, and it's been almost two, actually.

Simply put, I would be curious if there is a headphones set that is capable of true 5.1 or even 7.1, that would be coming from the analog or digital out from my sound card. I've tried several that claim virtual surround, and they all sounded hollow, to the point of being distracting.

Last one that did what I was looking for, was a secondhand set of turtle Beach x41 headset that used optical input to its transmitter (wireless). They were a godsend to playing alien isolation on the consoles since they had proper positioning for the audio, enabling me to keep track of the Alien as well as I did on my PC with my speakers. The cons, as it were, is that they were awful on battery life and just discovered the other day why they won't turn on anymore - the USB power cable the transmitter uses has frayed so it won't turn on anymore. So it has me wondering if anyone has been able to (wired or wireless) been able to make something proper in this category?

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want the best positional sound i'd recommend the game one from sennheiser i've had them for 4 months now and i find they are perfect for my mainly csgo needs with a bit of racing games on the side

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

also i think the cloud revolver is 7.1

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

razer tiamat 2.2 and 7.1 models both have real surround sound...

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Tiamats are also horrific for their price, sound quality wise, size and weight.

A good stereo setup with virtual surround is better than choppy audio coming from 3-4 tiny drivers per ear fighting each other for air space in such a small small.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the 2.2 and they definitely don't sound bad. They had the best sound of all the headsets I tried at the time, which was quite a few in the $50-250 range. They are also not that heavy. Very comfy though if you don't mind the extra heat of leather ear cups instead of the more breathable fabric like Logitech uses

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

You were looking at the wrong headsets in the $50-250 range then, or just haven't heard a good pair. I used to think Turtle Beach's sounded good. Perspective is everything.

I'm even sick of Astro's and their reverb over synthesized sound.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Turtle Beach is extremely over rated. The Astro a50 was out of my price range when I was looking, but the 30 I think is one I tried... Not impressed.

I got the tiamat 2.2 because it had excellent sound. The base was great, the highs were clear, and the positional audio was far better than any of the strictly virtual surround sound sets I tried. Most importantly though, they are comfy, sit around the ear instead of on it, and are enclosed instead of open (which was something I wanted). Being analog helped so I can use them as headphones for other tasks if needed as well and because most USB offerings tend to fail faster or have odd noise issued

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

A50s arent as good as A40s and A30s are trash compared to A40s as well. But there are much better headsets for the,money than even Astros.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

So, in that event, what should I get? My only purchased set has been the turtle Beach x41 set, which used optical to drive 5.1, and that worked great. So far my time with any other virtual surround headset, especially the PlayStation branded units, just had worse audio quality, much less positioning, than onboard audio on a PC.

And too many want to have their own sound chip, which often means no eax or proper audio on legacy or even recent PC games. That is why I bought the x-fi and in my newest build, the audigy Rx. I still remember being at this store where a company was demoing some "high end" set and being sorely disappointed with the test listening session. It was almost as much of a letdown as the recon3d based sound cards from Creative.

So far from what I'm aware of, the tiamat 7.1 seems to be the only headset that would let me use my preferred sound output from my PC. Even though I now have an optical out that would afford more flexibility.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Not possible as there is only 2 speakers.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

some have more than 2 speakers... thats what he is asking about basically since all 2 speaker sets are virtual surround, not real.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

As in multiple drivers?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but not many companies do it because it sounds like garbage

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't even bother with 7.1 headsets. Some use software, other have multiple drivers, either way you are not getting anywhere close to surround sound done by actual speakers and a subwoofer since they present sound in a completely different way.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Some 5.1/7.1 virtual surround is on point, but for the most part I agree. Especially avoid true 5.1/7.1 headsets.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Why would I avoid true 5.1/7.1? That doesn't make sense to me.

At least per my experience (with the x41's), true 5.1 was more on point than virtual 7.1.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Because it sounds bad... if you don't think so then go for it but once you use a headset/headphones with 2 solid drivers you'll change your tune.

You might get better directional audio with true 5.1/7.1 but at the sacrifice of clarity.

Not all virtual surround is created equal, it'll be different from pretty much every company

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

It is when they all use their own USB sound chips, and thus I can't use anything with eax on my PC.

I'd rather have something that would accept either the analog audio outs, or even optical audio out.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Even the Razer sets mentioned use their own sound card for the 7.1... you're better off pairing a headset with the soundcard it comes with because thats how it was designed.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for. I don't know of many 7.1 headsets to begin with and if you're looking for straight analog connections that don't drive the 7.1 with their own software that list would get even smaller.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

That "hollow" sound you get from virtual surround comes from the reverb used to throw the sound with only 2 drivers. I have read the Sennheiser GSX 1000 (which i will be getting soon and I have a poll for it running on MassDrop with good success) has really dialed in on this issue and I have heard very good things about the 7.1 on that specific model. It was designed around the Game Ones/Zeros, and since I already own the Ones I am eager to give it a try.

The setup together would run you $400 though and I can't even say its worth it until I try it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube